Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I went to an antique store / flea market place yesterday. It was mostly what you'd expect, but I did find a few things worth taking home, and a couple worth mentioning here.

First, some silver. I saw these sitting in the back of a case -- four 1972 German Olympic commemorative coins. They're silver, 0.31 ounces each. The vendor wanted $39 for the set. I looked online and see them going to that much per coin, so that seemed like a steal to me. Even if I'm wrong and they're only worth melt value, that's still not too bad.

IMG_3272.jpeg

Then I found a couple of old bottles that looked interesting. One of them has a base that looks a lot like fragments I've dug in my yard, so it caught my attention. I gave $2 for it. Then the second one I just thought it was kinda cool, and gave $6 for it.

IMG_3278.jpeg IMG_3281.jpeg

But the thing that made my day was a bunch of old mason jars. We had seen lots of them scattered throughout the building with prices anywhere from $8 to $20 and up. So we happened to come across a table full of old mason jars that the vendor was just putting out. He said he wanted them gone and had cleaned and bleached them all and they were good to go. There was one in particular that caught my eye -- a mason jar with the "Patent nov 30th 1858" on the front. I have found several fragments of that kind of jar in my mystery house dig, but haven't yet found enough pieces to reassemble one. But here was one, completely intact, including the zinc lid and a porcelain lid liner! I had to have it. Then he had several others, including some of the big (2 quart?) blue mason jars, some "old judge coffee" jars, and one MFA coffee jar. MFA is the Missouri Farmers' Association. Apparently the coffee jars are pretty rare. So I did what any self-respecting Missouri boy would do -- bought it, took it home, and filled it with coffee!
IMG_3275.jpeg IMG_3276.jpeg IMG_3277.jpeg IMG_3282.jpeg bigjars.jpg glasslid.jpg

All in all, we bought eight mason jars -- the 1858, three old judge, the MFA, two large blue "Ball Perfect Mason" jars, and one "Ball Ideal" jar with the glass lid and metal latching mechanism. All the jars had intact lids and liners. And the best part -- they were only five bucks apiece. We are very happy about that. I have all the coffee jars on my shelf full of coffee now. They can look cool and still be useful at the same time.

Upvote 17
My wife and I went to an antique store / flea market place yesterday. It was mostly what you'd expect, but I did find a few things worth taking home, and a couple worth mentioning here.

First, some silver. I saw these sitting in the back of a case -- four 1972 German Olympic commemorative coins. They're silver, 0.31 ounces each. The vendor wanted $39 for the set. I looked online and see them going to that much per coin, so that seemed like a steal to me. Even if I'm wrong and they're only worth melt value, that's still not too bad.

View attachment 2120996

Then I found a couple of old bottles that looked interesting. One of them has a base that looks a lot like fragments I've dug in my yard, so it caught my attention. I gave $2 for it. Then the second one I just thought it was kinda cool, and gave $6 for it.

View attachment 2120992 View attachment 2120993

But the thing that made my day was a bunch of old mason jars. We had seen lots of them scattered throughout the building with prices anywhere from $8 to $20 and up. So we happened to come across a table full of old mason jars that the vendor was just putting out. He said he wanted them gone and had cleaned and bleached them all and they were good to go. There was one in particular that caught my eye -- a mason jar with the "Patent nov 30th 1858" on the front. I have found several fragments of that kind of jar in my mystery house dig, but haven't yet found enough pieces to reassemble one. But here was one, completely intact, including the zinc lid and a porcelain lid liner! I had to have it. Then he had several others, including some of the big (2 quart?) blue mason jars, some "old judge coffee" jars, and one MFA coffee jar. MFA is the Missouri Farmers' Association. Apparently the coffee jars are pretty rare. So I did what any self-respecting Missouri boy would do -- bought it, took it home, and filled it with coffee!
View attachment 2120989 View attachment 2120990 View attachment 2120991 View attachment 2120995 View attachment 2120999 View attachment 2121000

All in all, we bought eight mason jars -- the 1858, three old judge, the MFA, two large blue "Ball Perfect Mason" jars, and one "Ball Ideal" jar with the glass lid and metal latching mechanism. All the jars had intact lids and liners. And the best part -- they were only five bucks apiece. We are very happy about that. I have all the coffee jars on my shelf full of coffee now. They can look cool and still be useful at the same time.
I use the sealers for finds, dry goods like beans, lentils, sugar, seeds, nuts. So many uses and they look really cool on the shelf of the pantry.
Then again I have a soft spot for old glass and using old.
Liking the mesh sealer, near seen one like that before, it's really cool.
Looks like you had a real good day I'd say, congrats.

View attachment 2120996

View attachment 2120989 View attachment 2120990 View attachment 2120991 View attachment 2120995 View attachment 2120999 View attachment 2121000

Just gleaming the sale prices for the Old Judge and the prices are anywhere from teens to the mid twenties, all the way up to $165. Hard to really know what they're worth.

Just gleaming the sale prices for the Old Judge and the prices are anywhere from teens to the mid twenties, all the way up to $165. Hard to really know what they're worth.
Depends on the buyer, I guess. But in any case, more than the $5 I paid, so that's good.

Old Judge Coffee Bldg. Historical Marker

This building was originally built by Marcus Berheimer for $30,000. (A historical marker located in St. Louis in St. Louis, Missouri.) www.hmdb.org
Neat! Too bad the current building doesn't look like the old one. That kind of stuff always boggles my mind -- three million pounds of coffee! (And only six cents a pound!)

Depends on the buyer, I guess. But in any case, more than the $5 I paid, so that's good.

Neat! Too bad the current building doesn't look like the old one. That kind of stuff always boggles my mind -- three million pounds of coffee! (And only six cents a pound!)
Now just to buy a bag of beans it can be $13-25 a pound.
Just was talking about coffee with the Mrs, and we were commenting on cost of buying a coffee and a treat.
1 med Latte + treat can be $15.00 like this world has really gone bananas.
We don't buy the treats often as most are crap.
Single Americana is close to $7 now.

The thrifting and antiquing is another treasure hunt that I enjoy,also. I stay away from coins and jewelry and such, because I just don’t know enough. Sounds like you know enough to not be taken. Good score. I’m like 🌶️ and use jars for finds and display. This was posted a few years ago on the Random Chat Thread and you might find it useful:

IMG_0260.jpeg

Congratulations on the finds and a fun day out with your wife! 🤗

This was posted a few years ago on the Random Chat Thread and you might find it useful
Yes indeed, that looks very useful. Thanks! (I saved it. Now if I will just remember that I have it the next time I'm looking for a reference.). Looks like the Ball jars we picked up are 1920's. So cool!

Loos like you and your wife had a really nice time and found some very nice mason jars and silver! Good job!

View attachment 2120996

Score!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back