Three objects tonight!

clf_02

May 7, 2012
Natchez, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First is brass ornate on one side. The other side is flat and looks like it was attached. I'm thinking possibly the bottom of a riffle for the ram rod to slide through......second is brass and looks like a modern day tongue ring. if you look closely you will see a slit in the ball on the second pic of it. it has two slits crossing each other on both balls where they opened them to insert the shaft and bent them back.....third is a big chunk of lead, wondering if its carved or even civil war?

Attachments

• image-2461271001.jpg
    image-2461271001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 153
  • image-3125109079.jpg
    image-3125109079.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 153
  • image-1642319814.jpg
    image-1642319814.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2346428672.jpg
    image-2346428672.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 145
  • image-3835019684.jpg
    image-3835019684.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 151
  • image-1021339991.jpg
    image-1021339991.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2174515569.jpg
    image-2174515569.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 128
I think the two balls on a shaft are a collar bar. I have one just like it.

Upvote 0
What you found looks like it might be a ram rod thimble. The thimble is attached to the rifle stock with a pin. Note the photo showing a thimble in the process of being attached to a gun stock. The second photo shows the flange that the pin goes through. So if you in fact have a ramrod thimble there should be at least some semblance of a flange on it, or some way for it to be attached to a wood stock. Thimbles on a half stock rifle attached differently. The half stock rifle the stock only goes part way up the barrel, and the is an under rib that the thimbles are either soldered on like in the close up photo. Where the ramrod goes into the wood, that isn't called a thimble, that's called an "entry pipe." The last picture is what a half stock rifle looks like. A full stock, the wood goes all the way up the barrel.
ram rod thimble.jpg ram rod pipe1.jpg half stock under rib.jpg half stock rifle.jpg

Upvote 0
The last photo of it was to show where it had been soldiered or attached to something. It's a hard black stuff there on it.

Upvote 0
You guys are good. I think you both nailed the id's of these

Upvote 0
So is that chunk of lead civil war or an old chunk of lead from something else?

Upvote 0
I have found camp lead before but not a chunk like that

Upvote 0
On the piece of lead, you probably have a small piece of a smelting bar. Early on the boys carried a bar of lead for casting.

Upvote 0
from the patina of the lead chunk, its of the civil war era. They did carry that around. Found lots of those

Upvote 0
Awsome finds rite there for sure

Upvote 0
Hey clf,

I'm voting cufflink:
MCPAE001-M01m.jpg

Upvote 0
I guess cuff link is possible. But if you google image search brass collar bar, they all have the same basic design as my object. Doing a google image search for brass cuff links or brass bar cuff links and it does not show one single pair designed like the ones you pictured. So I say it's possible but by the odds it's more likely a collar bar

Upvote 0
I guess cuff link is possible. But if you google image search brass collar bar, they all have the same basic design as my object. Doing a google image search for brass cuff links or brass bar cuff links and it does not show one single pair designed like the ones you pictured. So I say it's possible but by the odds it's more likely a collar bar

Surf is correct; it is a cuff link from the late Victorian period. Collar bars are much longer, and judging by the length in comparison to the mini bullet, it is way too short to be a collar bar. Men's collar bars from the Victorian era were almost always 'bars,' and not the more modern 'dumbbell' type. Dumbbell collar bars are threaded on at least one end.

:) Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well ok then. I just could not find any pictures of any.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back