Three Hour Relic Hunt Saturday

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Well, I was able to go out for a few hours on Saturday to hunt. I hunted a house next door to an area that had a huge presence during the civil war. It has been pounded to death, but I was hopeful I would find a few things at the house next door. I did manage a few items.
Here are my finds:

100_3955.jpg

Can anyone help me with dating this buckle? It is marked Solid Brass.

100_3967.jpg

100_3966.jpg

Here is a 1919 Wheat I found as well as a bullet and what I believe to be a poor mans ring(?). Does anyone know anything about the bullet or ring?

100_3964.jpg

I also found this metal disk that seems to be magnetic. It has a broken clip on the back. The other item is a Missouri tax token marked 5.

100_3962.jpg

Here is the same magnetic disk. Notice the front has some polished looking areas. I also have a button or rivet from jeans that says "Uniform Code". I don't think it is old.

100_3963.jpg

Upvote 0
More pics:

100_3954.jpg

Here is another pic of the bullet:

100_3960.jpg

Here is another pic of the ring:

100_3961.jpg

Those are some neat finds.
Good luck with Id'n them.
Ed

Those brass rings are awesome... I dug one that I believe to be a mid 1800s soldier's wedding band... I like to think it belonged to one of the Buffalo Soldiers that moved through here. However, it may have been an officer's ring, or any variety of farming landowner that lived there since. Brass ring's were common and a few CW internet sites have them displayed as well.

I've done some research on the history of wedding bands in America but there is too much conflicting information for me to tell you anything other then you found a nice old brass ring! :)

I like yer relic pics...

Very neat looking buckle, Congrats!
Old brass buckles are some of my favorite finds.
Sorry, no help with the age, and the only thing that comes to mind on the magnetic piece is possibly something like a refrigerator magnet ???
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

BB,
Nice finds. That buckle is great!
Here is some info on old rings that MAY apply to yours.
-MM-

The 1840s also saw the development of two techniques that would prove vitally important to the manufacture of inexpensive jewelry, which was beginning on a large scale in the U.S. and was already well under way in Birmingham, England. The first technique was electroplating, developed and patented in 1840 by the Elkingtons of Birmingham. The deposition of precious metal onto base metal using a direct electrical current was cheaper and much less dangerous than the age-old process of mercury gilding, though not as durable.

The second important process was rolled goldplating, brought to the U.S. from Great Britain in 1848. It was a big hit with New England jewelry manufacturers. Unlike electroplating, which is applied to a finished base metal article, rolled gold is a mechanical process for sheet and wire that is then used to manufacture a finished piece. The technique was derived from Sheffield plate, developed more than a century earlier, which is copper clad with silver and rolled to the desired thickness. Rolled gold is copper or brass clad with gold, also known as “gold-filled” in the United States. The metal “sandwich” was treated exactly the same as karat gold – stamped, engraved and fashioned into pieces that were identical in appearance to their solid gold counterparts. The French began to use the technique in the 1820s, calling it doublé d’or.

I would say the buckle is 1940s.

Bullet looks like a .38. I had hundreds that I collected as a kid at an old firing range.

Gotta love those tax tokens! ;D

Congrats on all those finds, BB!!

:)

ridge_runner said:
Great hunt BB.....Lot's of nice goodies!!!!!

rr

Thanks RR....but you could take me to school on relic hunting "Any Day". ;) I was pleased to have found anything though. :P

ModernMiner said:
BB,
Nice finds. That buckle is great!
Here is some info on old rings that MAY apply to yours.
-MM-

The 1840s also saw the development of two techniques that would prove vitally important to the manufacture of inexpensive jewelry, which was beginning on a large scale in the U.S. and was already well under way in Birmingham, England. The first technique was electroplating, developed and patented in 1840 by the Elkingtons of Birmingham. The deposition of precious metal onto base metal using a direct electrical current was cheaper and much less dangerous than the age-old process of mercury gilding, though not as durable.

The second important process was rolled goldplating, brought to the U.S. from Great Britain in 1848. It was a big hit with New England jewelry manufacturers. Unlike electroplating, which is applied to a finished base metal article, rolled gold is a mechanical process for sheet and wire that is then used to manufacture a finished piece. The technique was derived from Sheffield plate, developed more than a century earlier, which is copper clad with silver and rolled to the desired thickness. Rolled gold is copper or brass clad with gold, also known as “gold-filled” in the United States. The metal “sandwich” was treated exactly the same as karat gold – stamped, engraved and fashioned into pieces that were identical in appearance to their solid gold counterparts. The French began to use the technique in the 1820s, calling it doublé d’or.

Thanks! That is great info.

Montana Jim said:
Those brass rings are awesome... I dug one that I believe to be a mid 1800s soldier's wedding band... I like to think it belonged to one of the Buffalo Soldiers that moved through here. However, it may have been an officer's ring, or any variety of farming landowner that lived there since. Brass ring's were common and a few CW internet sites have them displayed as well.

I've done some research on the history of wedding bands in America but there is too much conflicting information for me to tell you anything other then you found a nice old brass ring! :)

I like yer relic pics...

Thanks Jim.........Cool ring. I wonder if I should try to get it re-rounded? What do you think? I too, think you found a 1800's soldiers wedding band. Congrats on that super find!

Nana40 said:
Gotta love those tax tokens! ;D

Congrats on all those finds, BB!!

:)

Nana,
Did I ever send you that Missouri tax token? If not, send me a PM with you address and I will right that wrong.
T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back