Three Days Of Hunting

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
I got lucky with another site that I think is very historic. The items pictured are from 3 days in the field and I have not even touched the surface of the site. Sits on a small hill next to a creek allowing for Indians and canoes easy access. I would date the site around 1600-1700. Many beads, some silver and 4 jaw harps. I found a Jesuit ring as pictured on their site. Cut copper points and many musket balls. Please review and feel free to identify or question anything you see.

Attachments

• skyway and fur trade 057.JPG
    skyway and fur trade 057.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 201
  • skyway and fur trade 037.JPG
    skyway and fur trade 037.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 184
  • skyway and fur trade 033.JPG
    skyway and fur trade 033.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 241
  • skyway and fur trade 021.JPG
    skyway and fur trade 021.JPG
    341.7 KB · Views: 209
  • skyway and fur trade 047.JPG
    skyway and fur trade 047.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very nice trade silver! Besides the ring, what is the other object you are holding? I too have a lot of the same items you have found, you must be on a good trade site!! No telling what else you will find there:)

Great 3 day hunt! You did well. Could you give us some more close ups.

Great 3 day hunt! You did well. Could you give us some more close ups.
I have many questions regarding some of the items. Not sure what the round disks with holes are. They are lead. The lead item I am holding not sure about that one. Where does the trade silver come from ? Jaw harps are neat I have about a dozen of them found over the years. The heart ring is the same ring as I saw on a Jesuit historic site. Where I am hunting now I can't swing the coil without hitting something. I have many years of detecting ahead of me and what I have found thus far is only the beginning.
What pictures do you want to see.

Wow great site there. Have you found and copper pieces that are thicker than kettle metal and irregular in thickness, i see piece in your pic but cant tell. If so it would be archaic. great site. swing slow and good things will come. I have found many simular sites itf you have any questions. Congrats

How about a close up of stuff in the frame. Thanks.

Nice finds! Congrats on finding a good site to hunt for years to come!
The lead disk with the hole is known as a "Whizzler" and is a toy that has string through the hole and spins.
In the fourth picture and next to the whizzler is a shoe buckle fragment. You say many beads.....Do have a photo of them?
Everything you have featured here in this post, is a carbon copy of what I find at late 1700's/early 1800's sites, with a few items pushing the mid-18th century.
The jury is still out, as you have a lot more to find yet but so far I don't think your site is quite as old as you think.
That could change with more finds coming to light!
The spot just screams potential.:icon_thumright:
Cheers,
Dave.

Great finds, be sure to keep us posted. What part of country do they come from? Concerning Whizzers, I have not found any on my indian site. I did find a few on my fort sites though 1790-1821, they all had 2 holes in them and were made from flattened 69 cal musket balls. The edges were also scalloped. I have found one hole buttons made of pewter, those you have are most likely some sort of adornment.

Thanks for the comments. I have found whizzers also and they have 2 holes and they were from an 1812 military site. These I want to believe have another purpose. Any other ideas. Jaw Harps are nice to find small buttons are common. Trade silver is found at the site if you go real slow. I am going to use another detector on Sunday so I think I will have a lot more small items. NO GLASS BEADS... a lot of copper from the kettles. What you guys say the site is not 1625 - 1700 . What leads you to the conclusion that it is a 1700 - 1800 site or you have another range in mind? Copper spear points should help date the site. I will post some more finds soon.

Thanks again ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back