Three cent piece and three little indians

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Got back up to the 1785 house for the day. It was really beautiful and the couple who live there are really nice. They are in their 80's. He comes out where I am detecting with a glass of fresh made lemonade from his wife. Then she comes out and we all sit down in the shade on the grass with lemonade and talk about the house and what I am finding. They are a really nice couple.
Anyway, I found my first three cent piece and is it ever trashed. Didn't realize that the nickel three cent piece deteriorated so badly. It appears to be 1870, but it is my first. Also found three indian heads, and 1865 an 1870 (semi key) and a 1906. Also found a metal plate from Falcon Toys and neat clock hand a pewter button and a boot toe plate. All in all it was a very nice day...Lance

Attachments

• Aug 27, 05 finds 1.jpg
    Aug 27, 05 finds 1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Aug 27, 05 finds 2.jpg
    Aug 27, 05 finds 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0
Nice three center. When there that old they get really bad. I am still looking for one myself. I got a handful of sheilds and a few undtermined nickels but none clear enough to be declared a 3 center.

But what I do have is a 1851 silver 3 center. Very small coins. I didn't even know what it was until I got home. It was caked up really heavily with oxidation.

I also give you props for knocking on doors all the time and seeking permission to hit these old virgin sites.

Keep up the good work jer

JerDfx said:
Nice three center. When there that old they get really bad. I am still looking for one myself. I got a handful of sheilds and a few undtermined nickels but none clear enough to be declared a 3 center.

But what I do have is a 1851 silver 3 center. Very small coins. I didn't even know what it was until I got home. It was caked up really heavily with oxidation.

I also give you props for knocking on doors all the time and seeking permission to hit these old virgin sites.

Keep up the good work jer
Thank you Jer. Still haven't found the silver 3 or any shield nickels. This 3 center was in the same hole as the 1865 and 1870 indian heads. All in one spot. Total of five cents. Maybe this was some kids lunch money or allowance. Kind of makes you feel bad over someone elses loss. (but I feel good about the find) Lance

Great finds, Comfy. Nice coins.

I have a set of boot toe plates that look just like those.

Sounds like you are having a really great time.....and great company too!

Really awesome finds!!!

;)

Congrats on your first nickel three cent peice.Most of the old nickels that I've dug
are pretty trashed.You just clean them the best way you know how and call it good.
Nice IH pennies also. I'm sure the couple enjoyed seeing the treasures that came to light.
Keep up the good work. HH!

JakePhelps said:
Awesome finds! Any marks on teh toe plate? I got one and it said canada on the front..
Hey Jake, No there is nothing on the front. I have found four and all are blank. I did not know that there were any with anything on front....Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back