coiltekjohn

Greenie
Apr 9, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this the other day near a battlefield with permission to detect. I saw what i thought to read C.S and believed it to be a buckle. But the fellas on here are right its nothing like that. Anybody have any ideas what it could be?

Attachments

• IMG_8713.JPG
    IMG_8713.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
I would agree and say it's definitely not a buckle of any kind.

If you could perhaps include a few more pictures, of the back and with something for a size reference it may help to ID your find.

Upvote 0
Another UIJ. Unidentified iron junk. Piece of old machinery, this stuff is all over the place. Most of what we dig is junk, there is much more trash in the ground than good stuff, but if one doesn't dig some junk one will miss some of the good stuff. You don't say how deep this thing was or how large it is, but it could have been masking a nice silver coin or a ring or something else cool so it was good you dug it out of the ground no matter what it is. ALWAYS re-check your hole after recovering a target like this just in case there was something else in the hole.

Upvote 0
It is roughly the same size of a civil war belt buckle.

Upvote 0
At first glance it kind of looks like it says CS but looking at it closely i believe it says DS. Not sure what it is but I think everyone else is right about it not being a buckle.

Upvote 0
It is not a Belt Plate, How many Buckles has anyone ever seen in any conflict made of iron?

Upvote 0
Actually, there are a few, just a few Confederate buckles made of sheet iron, but this one is cast iron. It's not military used.

Upvote 0
Actually, there are a few, just a few Confederate buckles made of sheet iron, but this one is cast iron. It's not military used.

Where can I go to see a picture of Confederate Belt Plate made of iron?

Upvote 0
Where can I go to see a picture of Confederate Belt Plate made of iron?

Worm-Slicer has found one but like smokey said it's sheet iron not cast iron. And the sheet iron ones are nothing like what coiltekjohn found.

Upvote 0
Joe G from MD, it's "Confederate General Service Accoutrement Plates" by Lon K. Klein, MD. Dr. Klein is a noted expert on CW Confederate items. The book, if you can find one, it's out of print is pricey. Pages 96 through 98. Several examples are shown.

Upvote 0
Well CS represents carbon steel. I have an antique bird feeder that looks similar to this and approximately the same size. The hole in the middle is for an ornate cast stand. The to side screws are for holding to very small cast birds. My opinion.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back