GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do they compare to each other?
I got mine back with the Upgrade/FIX today and still thought the recovery would be quicker.
I am kicking around selling it and getting a MXT All Pro but if it acts the same I would just stay with the MXS then for the waterproof and 20 tones.
One Detector I never owned was the MXT so I can't compare the two.

The mxtpro is an awesome detector. One of the best made.. MX sport I see is having issues

Never used the MX Sport, but the MXT Pro is absolutely incredible!

I own both but only have 2 hours on the MXS. I like the sport - no issues with recovery speed. The Etrac is much slower. I really like the analog audio on the MXT and the fact that my other coils will work with it - especially the U13.

I'm keeping both machines. I'm definitely not disappointed with the MXS. I think it's a good value for the price I paid. I would have really liked to see White's make this a dual frequency machine.

I would love to see the DFX put into the MX Sport platform....

I have an MXT Pro and have an MXT Sport on the way. As far as I'm concerned, the MXT (I've swung one since the original was released) is the best detector I've ever had.. and I've owned quite a few different units. Always wanted a waterproof MXT for fresh water wading and hoping the MXS will do the trick.

The MX Sport is NOT a waterproof MXT. I know that much, at least based on having a friend who has an MXT. I was not necessarily looking for it to be and have not made up my mind on keeping it but am definitely going to send it in for the corrected firmware (White's 2nd attempt at a fix) and hopefully gain some better recovery performance.

FYI, MXS is not a salt water detector either, it goes into overload when it hits salt water even after the upgrade firmware....

FYI, MXS is not a salt water detector either, it goes into overload when it hits salt water even after the upgrade firmware....

Whites is bad for putting a "beach mode" on their detectors and making buyers think thye have a good machine for beach use. When in reality, there are no single frequency vlf detectors that are going to shine in wet sand or saltwater. Anyone serious about beach detecting knows that multi-frequency or a PI machine is a must.

Whites is bad for putting a "beach mode" on their detectors and making buyers think thye have a good machine for beach use. When in reality, there are no single frequency vlf detectors that are going to shine in wet sand or saltwater. Anyone serious about beach detecting knows that multi-frequency or a PI machine is a must.

In general I agree with this. No single frequency VLF machine can match the performance of a PI or multi-frequency VLF in wet sand and shallow salt water hunting, but I will say the Deus comes about as close as a single frequency VLF can come to multi-frequency machine performance in wet salt sand and is usable in a pinch. I still have my Excal II when serious about it though, especially since it is made to be exposed to those conditions, unlike the Deus. Regarding Beach mode on the MX Sport, I don't fault Whites for doing this as long as the user understands the limitations. Beach mode helps when working that marginal area between the wet and dry sand and eeks out some extra performance there that you would otherwise not have. It is no Minelab CTX 3030 or even an Excal, so don't expect miracles when salt beach hunting.

Doesn't the MXS say you can shut SALT off in beach mode in the manual but yet I can't find that option for Beach Mode in my Detector. So I assume for fresh just use coin and jewelry?

Drop your sensitivity to "7" to prevent overload in saltwater.
Use "prospecting mode, SAT at 6 and sensitivity at "9" for fresh water.
You cannot access salt mode in the beach program.

Gonna have to wait on that MXT/MXS comparison cuz.. got the MXS yesterday and it's a DUD! By that, I mean it has the old bug ridden firmware. It's an almost painful experience trying to use it. Also has one other annoyance that I haven't seen addressed and that has to do with the pinpointing. With PP engaged, it goes silent when it nears the ground and will not detect a target until the coil is raised 4-5", wherein it would then sound off. The PP threshold would then also be present. Ground tracking was enabled. Can't see how they could release something so obviously 'broken'. Anyway, I sent an email to White's yesterday and still waiting for a response.

Gonna have to wait on that MXT/MXS comparison cuz.. got the MXS yesterday and it's a DUD! By that, I mean it has the old bug ridden firmware. It's an almost painful experience trying to use it. Also has one other annoyance that I haven't seen addressed and that has to do with the pinpointing. With PP engaged, it goes silent when it nears the ground and will not detect a target until the coil is raised 4-5", wherein it would then sound off. The PP threshold would then also be present. Ground tracking was enabled. Can't see how they could release something so obviously 'broken'. Anyway, I sent an email to White's yesterday and still waiting for a response.

I knew you were going to be disappointed, regardless, when you first called it the MXT Sport. That was the wishful thinking a lot of folks that knew of the MXT's legendary performance were hoping White's would bring to the MX Sport. But that was not to be. Yeah, regarding your experience, not surprised at all because everything you are experiencing has been previously posted on this forum. It's really disappointing that the upgraded units have not made their way into regular vendor inventory. The pinpointing issue was addressed at least once here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/white-s/500347-mx-sport.html#post4954678. I am not having the pinpointing issue but that may be somehow related to the stock coil which I don't use. I got the Sport accessory coil pack. Those coils seem to mitigate some of the out of the box performance issues associated with the original firmware. I am going to let the dust settle a bit before I send my MX Sport in for the free fix. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that White's may have been intentionally trying to take advantage of the MXT's reputation by dubbing it the MX Sport. Ah, conspiracy theories. 8-)

Last edited:
Even after the update you can not run the gain above "3" with the coil submerged in Salt water :BangHead:

Last edited:
It might be OK once fixed?

White's said the MXT got a solid beep in air test at 10.5", the MX5 at 11.5" & the MX Sport at 12.5" on a quarter with less noise, demonstrated on a video, so it should be a good land detector once everything is fixed.

As for the salt problems, someone at White's factory should be able to say what is normal for the circuitry. I know some White's detectors said on control box salt is rejected between iron & foil, so could that tiny bit of disc help?

Best wishes, George (MN)

Last edited:
I tracked it, via UPS, to the factory last week, so I hope it will get fixed up and headed my way soon. Feeling a bit nervous tho, 'cause I included my filled out warranty slip in the box (taped to the cardboard covering the display pod), and don't want it to have gone missing. Maybe I'll phone tomorrow.. just in case.

Phoned White's and, so far, nothing has been done (in the queue "pending"). Has been sitting there since the 11th.

Forgot to update. Got the MXS back a while ago and it's worlds better. Pinpoint isn't too good with it, being muted in volume vs the regular mode and only achieving parity at higher sensitivity settings. It would be nice if White's came out with a SOLID elliptical DD coil for it because the stock coil, even at lo sensitivity, is a bear to use in trashy areas and the eclipse DD floats like a cork. One thing I've noticed is that it's EXTREMELY sensitive and will pick up my sand scoop from a few feet away, even at lo sensitivity. Really like the 'reject volume' setting, at around 20, since it allows me to hear how incredibly trashy the areas I hunt are.. without being too obtrusive and making my brain hurt.
Right now, I'm contemplating making up a coil adapter so that I could use my 2 elliptical MXT coils and inline pinpointer. Evidently, using the Eclipse coils shifts the ID a bit, which is a small price to pay as far as I'm concerned.
Another thing I've done is to remove the spring clip from the upper pole section and replace it with a nylon nut/bolt. This has basically eliminated upper pole 'fretting', which leads to a wobbly shaft.
Another mod I've done is to apply some thin foam tape around the perimeter of the control pod. The battery pod stand is poorly designed and, being so narrow, tends to make the detector rather tippy.. and the last thing I want to have happen is the control pod falling and cracking open on a rock.

I knew you were going to be disappointed, regardless, when you first called it the MXT Sport. That was the wishful thinking a lot of folks that knew of the MXT's legendary performance were hoping White's would bring to the MX Sport. But that was not to be. Yeah, regarding your experience, not surprised at all because everything you are experiencing has been previously posted on this forum. It's really disappointing that the upgraded units have not made their way into regular vendor inventory. The pinpointing issue was addressed at least once here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/white-s/500347-mx-sport.html#post4954678. I am not having the pinpointing issue but that may be somehow related to the stock coil which I don't use. I got the Sport accessory coil pack. Those coils seem to mitigate some of the out of the box performance issues associated with the original firmware. I am going to let the dust settle a bit before I send my MX Sport in for the free fix. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that White's may have been intentionally trying to take advantage of the MXT's reputation by dubbing it the MX Sport. Ah, conspiracy theories. 8-)

I don't think expecting an MX platform machine to work properly is overly optimistic, do you?

From the White's website:

"This general purpose waterproof metal detector can do it all! Beach hunting, relics, coins and jewelry, and even prospecting. With it's roots in the MX lineup, MX Sport builds on the legendary MXT, with new features and the latest technology."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back