✅ SOLVED This whatamacallit looks pretty complete...

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMGP8868.JPG
    IMGP8868.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMGP8869.JPG
    IMGP8869.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 84
It's a spring steel trap used to catch animals, anything from small animals on up to and including coyotes, wolves and bears(depending on the size of the trap) Depress the spring on the end and pull the jaws apart and set the trigger pad in the center and when something stepped on the trigger in the center the jaws would snap shut and catch the animal's foot or leg. The chain would be secured to a tree or something to keep the animal from dragging it off but some animals would chew thru their own leg to get loose. Very inhumane way to catch or kill an animal... Hope this helps you out..

Upvote 0
Yeah, an animal trap. They make bigger and smaller ones. Be really careful trying to set it. It's probably for small animals up to coyotes. They still sell these in some stores here in south Texas, and some folks in the southern states still trap for extra money. Not sure if you can make a living trapping anymore? I think mine and surrounding counties still pay a bounty on certain animals, especially coyotes.

Upvote 0
Still sell them at rural feed and seed stores etc. Coyotes are considered and invasive species in TN but we have plenty of them. I hunt Coyotes and even have been allowed to hunt the Wildlife Refuges due to their predation on native species. Know lots of people who still use the traps but they sometimes catch animals that they were not intended to, so I don't use them. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Not too many years ago, those things were all over the place around here. You could have bought them in any sporting goods or hardware store. I had lot's of friends who used to set trap lines and make a few bucks selling the skins. Now here in New Jersey, I've been told that mere possession of one of these leg hold traps can get you in trouble. At a local flea market, an out of state dealer was warned that he was in violation of New Jersey law by offering some old ones for sale. I don't know if the law is true, but I haven't seen any of them for sale in probably 20 years.

Upvote 0
It's a spring steel trap used to catch animals, anything from small animals on up to and including coyotes, wolves and bears(depending on the size of the trap) Depress the spring on the end and pull the jaws apart and set the trigger pad in the center and when something stepped on the trigger in the center the jaws would snap shut and catch the animal's foot or leg. The chain would be secured to a tree or something to keep the animal from dragging it off but some animals would chew thru their own leg to get loose. Very inhumane way to catch or kill an animal... Hope this helps you out..

First off I will say animals will not chew there foot off....that is propaganda fed by the animal rights activist's!!Pure BS!!

What you have is a small trap for small animals(Would never ever hold a Coyote)This trap in no way is no danger to you in any way....even set,would not even break bone.
The GREAT news is I do think it is a Newhouse which is quite collectible,could be worth $20 or more.If you take some steel wool to the pan(the round part in the middle)you should see a #(thats the trap size)and some lettering(the Maker)
Traps are still used today wide spread by fur trappers,animal control and research.They are one of the most humane way's to capture and release animals if monitored responsibly.

Upvote 0
Wow, Lots of comments and good information. I will consider this solved! Thanks kuger for the tips on finding the makers mark. I will give that a try. I have never sold anything I found, I donate most of it to local museums and or the land owners. I even gave away the seated liberty quarter I found last winter. When I find a gold bar, or a million dollar find... then we will sell and retire! LOL

Upvote 0
Check the top front of the spring,thats the long "U",shaped deal...the front meaning where the "O",part goes around the jaws....if there is a Newhouse mark there or gawd forbid an image of a standing bear,the price will go up....Standing Bear......BIG MONEY!!!!

Upvote 0
Check the top front of the spring,thats the long "U",shaped deal...the front meaning where the "O",part goes around the jaws....if there is a Newhouse mark there or gawd forbid an image of a standing bear,the price will go up....Standing Bear......BIG MONEY!!!!
Thanks, I am going detecting again tomorrow, so I will be cleaning more stuff when I get home, so I will start with the trap!

Upvote 0
Looks to be a #3 or #4 Victor trap. (Coon,fox-coyote). After cleaning off the rust, and in working order, boil in a balsam or hemlock bough soup and your ready to go traping. Always angle the trigger opposite the ''squeeze'' spring.

Upvote 0
Looks to be a #3 or #4 Victor trap. (Coon,fox-coyote). After cleaning off the rust, and in working order, boil in a balsam or hemlock bough soup and your ready to go traping. Always angle the trigger opposite the ''squeeze'' spring.
I would NEVER trap an animal, I will eat a cow if I don't have to kill it or see it butchered, but even when I fish I apologize to a fish if it bleeds when I take the hook off! LOL Thanks for the information, but I will most likely donate it to the county if they want it for the museum!

Upvote 0
JFYI,its not a #3 or a #4 first clue is both of those would have double springs.......as I said this is for small animals never hold a coyote

Upvote 0
I got it all cleaned up today and there is not a makers mark on it, darn! Thanks again for all the feedback!
Cindy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back