jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT'S TIME TO START REALLY POORING IT ON WITH THE PHONE CALLS AND LETTERS.All the information is in the threads at the top of the gold prospecting page but here it is again. We need to make sure they (ways and means committee) understand that this bill is going to cause a lot of hardships, that it's illegal and that it will cost the state of Oregon millions in lawsuits.This is not just about mining in Oregon!!!! This is about our right's...... If we don't stop them here it will just keep getting worse for EVERYONE EVERYWHERE......If everyone on this thread wrote one letter a day they would be seriously overwhelmed at the capital.......
Here is where were at right now so it's more letters and phone call time.
SB 838 could use some major emails, phone calls, or faxes TO THE FULL WAYS & MEANS COMMITTEE. Miners NEED TO FIGHT this ban on suction dredging in Oregon waters or you might want to sell your equipment while it still has some value. If SB838 does pass in its original form, we will have the same ban California has and most likely the dredge ban will last for many years like it has in California. This maybe our last chance to stop SB838. SNOOZE YOU LOSE.

Tom Q.
"Government that governs best governs least"
Thomas Jefferson

As you can see the Democrats outnumber the Republicans on this committee by 4 legislative members. The governors folks are still promoting this dredge ban and if the Democrats vote party line we are out of the water. Currently there are approximately 160 folks who have sent in letters or emails for and against SB838-A.
Ways and Means
Membership:
Sen. Richard Devlin, Co-Chair Phone: 503-986-1719
[email protected] Party: D District: 19
Rep. Peter Buckley, Co-Chair Phone: 503-986-1405
[email protected] Party: D District: 5
Sen. Betsy Johnson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1716
[email protected] Party: D District: 16
Rep. Nancy Nathanson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1413
[email protected] Party: D District: 13
Rep. Dennis Richardson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1404 [email protected] Party: R District: 4
Sen. Alan Bates Phone: 503-986-1703 [email protected] Party: D District: 3
Sen. Chris Edwards Phone: 503-986-1707
[email protected] Party: D District: 7
Sen. Fred Girod Phone: 503-986-1709
[email protected] Party: R District: 9
Sen. Bill Hansell Phone: 503-986-1729
[email protected] Party: R District: 29
Sen. Rod Monroe Phone: 503-986-1724
[email protected] Party: D District: 24
Sen. Elizabeth Steiner Hayward Phone: 503-986-1717
[email protected] Party:D District: 17
Sen. Chuck Thomsen Phone: 503-986-1726
[email protected] Party: R District: 26

Sen. Doug Whitsett Phone: 503-986-1728 [email protected] Party: R District: 28
Sen. Jackie Winters Phone: 503-986-1710
[email protected] Party: R District: 10
Rep. Jeff Barker Phone: 503-986-1428
[email protected] Party: D District: 28
Rep. Lew Frederick Phone: 503-986-1443
[email protected] Party: D District: 43
Rep. Tim Freeman Phone: 503-986-1402
[email protected] Party R District: 2
Rep. Bruce Hanna Phone: 503-986-1407
[email protected] Party: R District: 7
Rep. John Huffman Phone: 503-986-1459
[email protected] Party: R District: 59
Rep. Bob Jenson Phone: 503-986-1458
[email protected] Party: R District: 58
Rep. Betty Komp Phone: 503-986-1422
[email protected] Party: D District: 22
Rep. Mike McLane Phone: 503-986-1455
[email protected] Party: R District: 55
Rep. Tobias Read Phone: 503-986-1427
[email protected] Party: D District: 27
Rep. Greg Smith Phone: 503-986-1457
[email protected] Party: D District: 27
Rep. Carolyn Tomei Phone: 503-986-1441
[email protected] Party: D District: 41
Rep.

While your at it Everyone send comments to the OAL of calif to stop the emergency dredge definition change. 5 days and counting.

So those who have been sitting on your hands waiting for someone else to save your sorry dredging rights may now be sitting on your camp chairs next to your favorite mining stream wondering why you lost your right to use your mining equipment in Oregon streams. Read Senator Boquist email to Jon Ball for more details below. Should be some good buys on mining equipment and mining claims real soon. Wonder what Dave New 49ers folks will be doing in Oregon since most all their claims in Oregon are on ESH streams. GPAA will lose another bunch of mining claims to use and Oregon will join California as another win for the GREEN MACHINE. So what are you folks that don't want to participate in the government process doing about it? SNOOZE YOU LOSE.

Hi all,

We just received word late today of a new set of amendments for SB 838. The -8 amendments were proposed by Dingfelder and Bates.

This version of the bill would place a moratorium on small-scale mining from 2016 to 2021. The amendments are not yet available on OLIS.

We believe that this version of the bill will be pushed through committee soon.
I just received this notice from Senator Boquist. It's not good. The new SB 838 Amendments pretty much ban all placer mining!

It's time to get angry folks. Your Federal Right to conduct Mining in Oregon is about to be taken from you by a few who have never had to dig a ditch, or lift a shovel in their lives!

It's time to flood the communications lines... See the list below and send them Emails, Phone calls, Text Messages.

You can also use Local Classified Ads, Call your Newspaper, Contact your City Mayor's Office who's Tax Base will be impacted... Social Media Sites (Facebook, Mining Sites, Government Websites, Etc.)... ... and don't forget to contact the almighty Governor himself!!! Get your voices Heard. We need to do this NOW.

Help spread the word tonight!

Believe Senator Dingfelder, Senator Bates and Representative Unger have amendments to SB 838 that would place a moratorium on all mining with in 100 yards of any fish bearing stream that could have eggs or spawning … meaning any ESH stream. Yes, a moratorium 300 feet both sides of the streams and rivers.

Would be a ban under 2021 wiping you folks out.

Streams and water without ESH spawning areas etc would be restricted to 850 total permits at $150 each. Supposedly the fee would be used to study the effects of small scale mining. Bottom line is would wipe out all small scale mining as study would never be done.

The miners need to be contacting every legislator they can but emphasis on Senator Courtney, Senator Rosenbaum, Senator Roblan, Senator Devlin, Senator Bates, Representative Koteck, Representative Hoyle, and Representative Buckley.

The bill will move out of Joint Ways & Means any day this week or next by Friday.

This is what happened in CA. Sorry but you have lost already as Democrats control everything in the west. Phone calls, e-mails and all are a waste of time. Banding together and making a statement is what may be necessary. It's going to take civil disobedience to get people up in arms.

Now I know why you call yourself the Armchair prospector..........

This link will help to fast track your letters.

Here is a copy and paste to send to all.
Joint Way and Weans
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

I sent an email to Bates pretending to be a greenie, asking how I could help the cause just to see what the other side is up to. Got no response. That tells me they are incompetent, or more
likely, they have it all locked up already.

Last edited:
Jog, if you read the current WMA it says the same thing. We as a group are going to have to occupy the rivers. Unless it is done as a group, nothing good will happen. People across the state and country need to know what is going on and unless we as a group do something that makes a true statement, you and i and others can watch our dredges rust into history. The environmental groups have occupied the miners in CA. for the last 3 years. But you keep writing those letters and e-mails. See how far it gets you. If you have any gold that you can sell and get a receipt will show that we are all professionals, and not recreational miners. No pretending please as they aren't. This is an emergency. Many still can't find jobs, as they are falling off the unemployment but are not counted anymore as unemployed. Gold has dropped in price. The federal government can't keep paying out money they don't have.$17 trillion in debt. Health care going to rise to the point of nobody can afford. Scandals up the wasue in this administration. When is enough, enough!!!

Last edited:
Armchair prospector, I am all for occupying are rivers. If this bill passes I will be occupying lots of rivers with my mining equipment....... Anyone who steps onto my claims with the intent to fine me for not obeying this STATE LAW will find themselves charged with interfering with a FEDERAL MINING CLAIM and I will DEFEND WHATS MINE !!!!!!!........" NO" I"M NOT PRETENDING. Keep writing letters and keep telling them how you feel, It's not over till the fat lady sings. Everyone needs to get behind the Alan Bates recall and show the Geenies that this is not a joke...

You are right to keep fighting . I wish you guys luck up there. Just remember what happened down here. Democrats control everything in Sac. Until they get voted out, we may never see the end of a nozzel. Get receipts of the gold you and every other prospector has sold, so they can see what is being payed in taxes. They love getting your taxes. It's all about money. That may have been what was missing up here.

I say everyone just stop paying those taxes for one year, that might get there attention.....lots of extensions.

I sent an email to Bates pretending to be a greenie, asking how I could help the cause just to see what the other side is up to. Got no response. That tells me they are incompetent, or more
likely, they have it all locked up already.

or someone has better research skills, and knew you were posing.
responsible dredging would have stopped this behavior short...

The "CRAP" thats going on at the state capital in Oregon has nothing to do with dredging, If you actually cared or new anything about mining you might have figured that out by now.

You're absolutely right. It's the same thing that happened here in Ca. It had nothing to do with dredging. What happened here is starting all over again in Oregon. How many times are those in the mining community going to beat their heads again a wall before they realize it hurts. We need to band together to figure this out and do something about it. Sounds like Idaho has a plan. This a national problem. This administration is cutting oil development in N.D Wyoming, and Utah by 2/3rds, which is going to kill employment during a boom. Hell, we aren't even on the radar.

Last edited:
ALERT******
SB838 has been passed from Ways and Means Natural Resources Committee to the full Ways and Means Committee today. This could come up Wednesday or Friday in the Full Ways and Means.

Time to Occupy their phone lines!!!!!

Let's keep them listening to what we think of them pushing this anti job, anti-mining bill and spending money us tax payers know is wasteful and putting in law that In-stream small scale mining is harmful. We know the science doe not support this position. This is a big sham!!!!!

Time to let them know that they work for the citizens not the governor who seems to be the one pushing this bill now. If you are a constituent of one of the committee members listed below tell them you are and will not be voting for them next election.

Joint Ways and Means
Membership:
Sen. Richard Devlin, Co-Chair Phone: 503-986-1719 [email protected] Party: D District: 19
Rep. Peter Buckley, Co-Chair Phone: 503-986-1405 [email protected] Party: D District: 5
Sen. Betsy Johnson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1716 [email protected] Party: D District: 16
Rep. Nancy Nathanson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1413 [email protected]
Party: D District: 13
Rep. Dennis Richardson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1404 [email protected] Party: R District: 4
Sen. Chris Edwards Phone: 503-986-1707 [email protected]
Party: D District: 7
Sen. Fred Girod
Phone: 503-986-1709 [email protected] Party: R District: 9
Sen. Bill Hansell
Phone: 503-986-1729 [email protected] Party: R District: 29
Sen. Rod Monroe
Phone: 503-986-1724 [email protected] Party: D District: 24
Sen. Elizabeth Steiner Hayward
Phone: 503-986-1717[email protected] Party:D District: 17
Sen. Chuck Thomsen
Phone: 503-986-1726 [email protected] Party: R District: 26
Sen. Doug Whitsett
Phone: 503-986-1728 [email protected] Party: R District: 28
Sen. Jackie Winters
Phone: 503-986-1710 [email protected] Party: R District: 10
Rep. Jeff Barker
Phone: 503-986-1428 [email protected] Party: D District: 28
Rep. Lew Frederick
Phone: 503-986-1443 [email protected] Party: D District: 43
Rep. Tim Freeman
Phone: 503-986-1402 [email protected]
Rep. Bruce Hanna
Phone: 503-986-1407 [email protected] Party: R District: 7
Rep. John Huffman
Phone: 503-986-1459 [email protected] Party: R District: 59
Rep. Bob Jenson
Phone: 503-986-1458 [email protected] Party: R District: 58
Rep. Betty Komp
Phone: 503-986-1422 [email protected] Party: D District: 22
Rep. Mike McLane
Phone: 503-986-1455 [email protected] Party: R District: 55
Rep. Tobias Read
Phone: 503-986-1427 [email protected] Party: D District: 27
Rep. Greg Smith
Phone: 503-986-1457 [email protected] Party: D District: 27
Rep. Carolyn Tomei
Phone: 503-986-1441 [email protected] Party: D District: 41
Rep. Jennifer Williamson
Phone: 503-986-1436 [email protected] Party: D District: 36
I would copy Ken Rocco when you send your email to each Ways and Means member. You would need to call Ken Rocco for his email address or Gina Rumbaugh for hers. That will give you double coverage to make your information part of the public record. Make sure to put your name and address on your comments and date.

After reading the replies I am getting from my emails to the different Senators and Representatives, I am thinking that the support for this crap, personal agenda legislative fiasco is dwindling. The deal making and back-room negotiations have not secured the support that Bates, Dingfelder and Hass will need to get this crap legislation passed and it has a lot to do with all of US showing a lot of opposition thru emails, letters and phone calls. And sooner or later, they should ALL be recalled and face criminal charges in Federal courts and Civil courts for a lot of different offenses. Just because they are elected officials, doesn't mean that they should be considered above the existing Laws of the Land. So, If we can get this crap legislation stopped here in Oregon, it will more than likely set a standard for other states to work off of. The lawmakers in other states are watching and waiting to see what happens here if it passed and becomes law so they can make similar legislation happen all over the country to stop mining. So we need every active or non-active miner to make phone calls or to send in several opposition letters to SB838 + the amendments to get this thing stopped. Doesn't need to be long or drawn out...just straight to the point with your name and an address so you can be added to the growing list of those opposed to this legislation. Anything you can or will do will help us stop this assault on our mining rights. It would be really nice to be able to dredge/mine for gold in any state without any problems. Thanks.....
1699e2bf-884e-4977-876a-30658bbf2bb.gif
1699e2bf-884e-4977-876a-30658bbf2bb.gif

Here are the adresses and phone numbers again, today and tomorrow is very important to CALL,CALL,CALL.
Joint Ways and Means
Membership:
Sen.
Richard Devlin, Co-Chair Phone: 503-986-1719 [email protected] Party: D District: 19
Rep. Peter Buckley, Co-Chair Phone: 503-986-1405 [email protected] Party: D District: 5
Sen. Betsy Johnson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1716 [email protected] Party: D District: 16
Rep. Nancy Nathanson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1413 [email protected] Party: D District: 13
Sen. Chris Edwards Phone: 503-986-1707 [email protected] Party: D District: 7

Sen. Fred Girod Phone: 503-986-1709 [email protected] Party: R District: 9
Sen. Bill Hansell Phone: 503-986-1729 [email protected] Party: R District: 29
Sen. Rod Monroe Phone: 503-986-1724 [email protected] Party: D District: 24
Sen. Elizabeth Steiner Hayward Phone: 503-986-1717[email protected] Party: D District: 17
Sen. Chuck Thomsen Phone: 503-986-1726 [email protected] Party: R District: 26
Sen. Doug Whitsett Phone: 503-986-1728 [email protected] Party: R District: 28
Sen. Jackie Winters Phone: 503-986-1710 [email protected] Party: R District: 10
Rep. Jeff Barker Phone: 503-986-1428 [email protected] Party: D District: 28
Rep. Lew Frederick Phone: 503-986-1443 [email protected] Party: D District: 43
Rep. Tim Freeman Phone: 503-986-1402 [email protected] Party: R District: 2
Rep. Bruce Hanna Phone: 503-986-1407 [email protected] Party: R District: 7
Rep. John Huffman Phone: 503-986-1459 [email protected] Party: R District: 59
Rep. Bob Jenson Phone: 503-986-1458 [email protected] Party: R District: 58
Rep. Betty Komp Phone: 503-986-1422 [email protected] Party: D District: 22
Rep. Mike McLane Phone: 503-986-1455 [email protected] Party: R District: 55
Rep. Tobias Read Phone: 503-986-1427 [email protected] Party: D District: 27
Rep. Greg Smith Phone: 503-986-1457 [email protected] Party: R District: 57
Rep. Carolyn Tomei Phone: 503-986-1441 [email protected] Party: D District: 41
Rep. Jennifer Williamson Phone: 503-986-1436 [email protected] Party: D District: 36
I would copy Ken Rocco when you send your email to each Ways and Means member. You would need to call Ken Rocco for his email address or Gina Rumbaugh for hers. That will give you double coverage to make your information part of the public record. Make sure to put your name and address on your comments and date.
Staffing:
Ken Rocco 503-986-1828

Democrat Senator Betsy Johnson keep her word and voted against SB838-10 and Senator Fred Girod voted against miners. He needs to be voted out of office when his term is up.

I really think it would be a good gesture for miners to call or email a THANK YOU FOR THEIR VOTE AGAINST SB838-10 IN THE JOINT WAYS & MEANS COMMITTEE TODAY. IT MIGHT GO ALONG WAY IF ONE OF THESE REPUBLICANS ARE HALF WAY SITTING ON THE FENCE IF THEY START TRADING VOTES WHEN THIS BILL HITS THE SENATE FOR A FLOOR VOTE. The information with highlighted email addresses also list their phone numbers.

Joint Ways & Means vote all Democrats voted against miners except Senator Betsy Johnson.
Here is the Joint Ways & Means committee vote today
14 votes to pass All Democrats except Senator Betsy Johnson
11 votes against this bill. Senator Chuck Thompson excused for family funeral.
Only one Republican voted against miners Senator Fred Girod.

Betsy Johnson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1716 [email protected] Party: D District: 16
Greg Smith Phone: 503-986-1457 [email protected] Party: R District: 57
Bill Hansell Phone: 503-986-1729 [email protected] Party: R District: 29
Doug Whitsett Phone: 503-986-1728 [email protected] Party: R
Jackie Winters Phone: 503-986-1710 [email protected] Party: R District: 10
Dennis Richardson, Co-Vice Chair Phone: 503-986-1404 [email protected] Party: R District: 4
Bob Jenson Phone: 503-986-1458 [email protected] Party: R District: 58
Bruce Hanna Phone: 503-986-1407 [email protected] Party: R District: 7
Tim Freeman Phone: 503-986-1402 [email protected] Party: R District: 2
John Huffman Phone: 503-986-1459 [email protected] Party: R District: 59
Chuck Thomsen Phone: 503-986-1726 [email protected] Party: R District: 26 He was excused to attend a family funeral so could not vote for miners.

Fred Girod Phone: 503-986-1709 [email protected] Party: R District: 9 Rhino Republican voted against the miners on SB838-10. Some senators think he has already traded his vote for something he wants.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back