✅ SOLVED This Should be Easy... Bullet? BB?

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this little lead ball today and know nothing about bullets. I found it in the same area where I've previously found a fired three ring bullet, a musketball and half of a three ring bullet. What is this little guy?

And for you AT Pro users, how does a lead signal read on the machine if I am in Pro Coin mode?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454707593.070039.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454707613.571847.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454707627.256944.jpg

looks like a 36 cal bullet. 1800,s old army revolvers,single action black powder guns.36 is the diameter of the bullet.very common bullet back then and still today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Might be a pellet out of a shotgun shell. Maybe a #4 shot.. maybe?

Upvote 0
With a more exact weight and measurement, someone here can probably nail it.
But as for possibilities: A lead ball shot out of a flintlock or percussion handgun or rifle. Small sizes like this out of a rifle were used for small game.
It might also be a lead ball that was loaded in an older weapon with others the same size , along with another singular (much larger) ball. Called Buck and Ball.
Depending on it's measurement, it might also be from a more modern shotgun load of "buckshot".
It could be from 20 or 200+ years old. These are all "maybes' at this point.

Upvote 0
With a more exact weight and measurement, someone here can probably nail it.
But as for possibilities: A lead ball shot out of a flintlock or percussion handgun or rifle. Small sizes like this out of a rifle were used for small game.
It might also be a lead ball that was loaded in an older weapon with others the same size , along with another singular (much larger) ball. Called Buck and Ball.
Depending on it's measurement, it might also be from a more modern shotgun load of "buckshot".
It could be from 20 or 200+ years old. These are all "maybes' at this point.

Hey TomPA, good info! I'm going to get my jewelry scale right now. I'll post in a few. Everything I find in my yard I just really want to know exactly what it is. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Okay, if I'm doing the conversion correctly, the ball measures 5/16 of an inch, just over 1/4" which translates to 7.9mm. The weight is, I believe, 2 grams.

Upvote 0
Take a look at "buck and Ball"

Upvote 0
First, the thick white lead-oxide patina on it indicates it is made of "pure" lead, instead of a lead alloy, which strongly indicates it is from the 1800s rather than the 1900s. Second, going by your non-caliper measurement... 5/16th-inch equals .3125-inch. Third, you say you found several civil war military bullets nearby. So, your lead ball could be either a civil war .31 Colt pistol bullet, or (much more likely) either a civil war "zero gauge" buckshot or one of the three buckshot from a .69-caliber Buck-&-Ball cartridge. Because you say you found a musketball nearby, I think your small pure-lead ball was part of a Buck-&-Ball, rather than a buckshot-only cartridge.

Credit must be given to our fellow T-Net member Calisdad for posting the buckshot-sizes chart here in the What-Is-It forum, back in 2013.

Attachments

• buckshot-sizes_shot-size-chart_TN_postedbyCalisdad.jpg
    buckshot-sizes_shot-size-chart_TN_postedbyCalisdad.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
I agree, I also think it's a buck from a buck and ball. A buck and ball would be a 69 cal. round ball with three smaller lead buckshot (buck) sitting on top of the ball. When fired, it was pretty lethal.

Upvote 0
I think the 3 bucks sat under the ball and not on top. If they sat on top there would be a chance they would get lodged in the barrel on the way out.

Upvote 0
First, the thick white lead-oxide patina on it indicates it is made of "pure" lead, instead of a lead alloy, which strongly indicates it is from the 1800s rather than the 1900s. Second, going by your non-caliper measurement... 5/16th-inch equals .3125-inch. Third, you say you found several civil war military bullets nearby. So, your lead ball could be either a civil war .31 Colt pistol bullet, or (much more likely) either a civil war "zero gauge" buckshot or one of the three buckshot from a .69-caliber Buck-&-Ball cartridge. Because you say you found a musketball nearby, I think your small pure-lead ball was part of a Buck-&-Ball, rather than a buckshot-only cartridge.

Credit must be given to our fellow T-Net member Calisdad for posting the buckshot-sizes chart here in the What-Is-It forum, back in 2013.

So what you're saying is.... it wasn't shot by this guy?
IMG_0298.jpg :laughing7:

Seriously, that chart is great! Thanks for taking the time to post it and cheers to all who chimed in. Have a great weekend!

I'll be adding this little guy to my backyard bullet collection (only a small portion pictured).

IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2874-2.JPG IMG_3344.jpg

Upvote 0
To answer your question about readings for lead using an AT Pro, exact numbers may vary slightly from one machine to the next, but similar lead shot on mine ring up 51 or 52. Hope this helps! HH!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back