• What could it be 006.JPG
    What could it be 006.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
a rock
yup hematite

comes in weird shapes a lot
lots of them up north where you and i live

yeah i wasnt so sure it was either thats why i said it looked like it buts it looks like it is

It looks more like what we call Ironstone. I'm not sure of the actual name of the stone though. I find nodules of it all the time down here and at first glance it looks like Hematite but it doesn't have the weight or density of Hematite.

test it!!
see if it will put a brown red mark on the sidewalk.

test it!!
see if it will put a brown red mark on the sidewalk.

It won't leave a mark, other than a scratch. This is some hard stone! The bottom of the pit looks to be worn by some rotating action from something. I will get some good scans
when time allows if you like. Thanks for the help, this one has intrigued me since I found it.

It won't leave a mark, other than a scratch. This is some hard stone! The bottom of the pit looks to be worn by some rotating action from something. I will get some good scans
when time allows if you like. Thanks for the help, this one has intrigued me since I found it.

They have a great rock and mineral forum here. You might try those guys as that is what they do. Good luck.

Here are some B&W scans...

Attachments

• Whatisit scan 2.JPG
    Whatisit scan 2.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 90
  • Whatisit scan 5.JPG
    Whatisit scan 5.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Whatisit scan 6.JPG
    Whatisit scan 6.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 80
Put it in the rock forum some in there know quite a bit and will probably tell you what it is. I use it when I find some nice rocks and want to know what type they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back