This morning

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
6/10” of rain last night. I walked the edges of 2 new field permissions.
I found the debitage show below.
I also found a few chunks of flint that didn’t appear to have been flaked.
The pottery shard was a find also. I believe it to be NA, but I’m not positive. It’s gray, thickness varies from about 7/16” to 17/32”, the the grooves/designs are quite close together on one side and slightly farther apart on the other. It appears to have no glazing. More rain predicted. Hopefully more items will be uncovered.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    608.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Upvote 5
Some of those shards do look worked, and would definitely keep me looking. The pottery looks "spun" to me, but it's hard to tell. The striations are just awfully close and regular.

The flakes look good, the pottery looks old, but not NA to me. Looks like it was thrown on a wheel like a modern piece just based on the very fine concentric circling I see there.. Im no expert for sure though so hopefully someone better than me can chime in.

I agree not native pottery, the flake bottom row second from the right stands out, you sure you don’t have a uniface tool?

I agree not native pottery, the flake bottom row second from the right stands out, you sure you don’t have a uniface tool?
It could be. I’m so green at identifying this stuff, I look like a Martian. 😆
Unless a piece is very obvious, I can miss it. I’ll dig it out and look closer. Thank you.👍🏼

Here’s a photo of the flip sides. The pointed piece had the look of a very small drill, but could be just a coincidental flake that broke that way. The other piece could be a uniface. The tiny size is what made me skeptical. Were there tools that small? I need to find a good resource and start studying. I’m enthralled with the history and appreciate the help. Thanks to all who shared info. 👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpeg
    IMG_2178.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 10
Here’s a photo of the flip sides. The pointed piece had the look of a very small drill, but could be just a coincidental flake that broke that way. The other piece could be a uniface. The tiny size is what made me skeptical. Were there tools that small? I need to find a good resource and start studying. I’m enthralled with the history and appreciate the help. Thanks to all who shared info. 👍🏼
I've also found a couple of flakes that are pointy and very similar shape to yours. I was also curious if they were some kind of tool or just a flake with a unique shape.

I always have thought that small tools were tools tools for young children.
They learnt to do things organically to just live learning the skills from the elders.
So why not drills, scrapers, and other very small tools.
There's no such thing as too young to start learning to live.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back