🔎 UNIDENTIFIED This looks like Tyrex ammo?

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this up and put it back. A live round?
Snapshot.jpg

Appears to be a projectile sans the powder and shell case. However, better to be safe. You saw it “in hand” and we didn’t. I trust your judgement.

Upvote 0
Looks like the projectile only. Looks to have been fired since the round is grooved?

Upvote 2
That looks like a huge huge hunk of lead! It would be interesting to know what kind of firearm fired it. The rifling and 3 grooves are obvious, but it's diameter and length appear to be bigger than any shoulder-fired round I am familiar with.

Upvote 0
It looks to be unscathed... not out of shape like a fired round. Military base nearby so will send a pic and let you know. A big round... what weapon is interesting?

Upvote 0
If it's a tiny bit over 3/4" diameter it is a 20mm cannon round. Definitely fired by the rifling grooves. These cannons are common in attack airplanes and helis.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Is there trace of paint of any color? This is a simple guide for 20MM and similar. Of course these are NATO codes, the Warsaw Pact is totally different. Also, some of these warrant carful handling.

Attachments

• IMG_1829.jpeg
    IMG_1829.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0
Why put it back. I would have called the police if i did not know and let them take care of it. NOT PUT IT BACK !!

Upvote 1
WHEN IN doubt play safe !!!

Upvote 2
Explosive projectiles smaller than 37 mm in diameter were banned for military use in 1899. Unless there has been a recent change that I am not aware of, you don't need to worry about the projectile you found blowing up. In any case, it looks like a carbide-tipped solid steel armor piercing bullet.

Upvote 1
Explosive projectiles smaller than 37 mm in diameter were banned for military use in 1899. Unless there has been a recent change that I am not aware of, you don't need to worry about the projectile you found blowing up. In any case, it looks like a carbide-tipped solid steel armor piercing bullet.
High explosive (HE) and high explosive incendiary (HEI) are just a few of the 20 mm and 30 mm rounds that are and have been in continuous use for over the last 50+ years. There are dozens of modern and obsolete explosive rounds laying around ranges. The rounds need a pre determined amount of kinetic energy to explode, but still need respect. If I remember correctly the 20 mm HEI rounds on the Cobra needed to be within 2000 meters to detonate. Tracer burnout was 1500 meters.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
Is there trace of paint of any color? This is a simple guide for 20MM and similar. Of course these are NATO codes, the Warsaw Pact is totally different. Also, some of these warrant carful handling.
Those are bullets ... this thing from what I gather had a propulsion pack behind it.... waiting to hear from the military.

Upvote 0
Why put it back. I would have called the police if i did not know and let them take care of it. NOT PUT IT BACK !!
Local military know where it is precisely described. Be interesting to report what they say...

Upvote 0
This is the consensus with military buds of mine ... say just as you say ... thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back