✅ SOLVED This is what makes MT fun!?

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this up in my own front yard ( Sussex Co. Delaware) this spring. I was using my Garrett 250 set on coin mode. It was 3-4". It is a fine casting with no markings and non magnetic. The finish is obviously old, but where it came off it looks like maybe some alloy. DSCF03151.jpgDSCF0316.JPG

I just found something just like it. Caltrop! May have been used to cripple a horse or person. I think!

Upvote 0
Hello deldave,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing us your discovery. Do you suppose it's a mutant jack or a caltrop?

Upvote 0
I think I may have found it! caltrop, used to hobble or maim a horse or person. I found others like it on goggle picture search under caltrop. What do you think?

Upvote 0
you have ninjas running around there that you dont know about?

Upvote 0
its a ninja weapon cant remember what its called

Upvote 0
Could it have been a toy spinning top?

Upvote 0
Surf and Taz42o are correct. It absolutely is not a Caltrop (also know as a horse-crippler, and a Crow's-Foot). Nor is it a Ninja-weapon. Deldave's find is one version of several varieties of "Mill-Stars"... which is a type of Tumbler Media used in the Metalcasting industry to remove burrs and casting-sand from raw-out-of-the-mold metal castings.

As Taz42o said, the defining characteristic of an actual Caltrop is that a Caltrop always has a Tetrahedral form, an arrangement of FOUR sharp-tipped spines which will always land on the ground with one spine sticking STRAIGHT upward, to impale a horse's hoof of a soldier's foot -- or tires. See the two illustrations, below.

You can't make these 6-armed Mill-Stars sit with one arm pointing straight upward. They sit with the arms at a 30-degree angle -- which means you could drive over one and it won't pierce the tire. Or, step on one and it won't pierce your shoe.

Surf already posted a photo of an actual Caltrop. To see more photos (note that they always have only 4 spines), and learn about them, go here: Caltrop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some photos of other variations of Mill-Stars. Note that none have 4 arms/spines. I'll also include a drawing from an Army OSS Manual showing an actual modern-era Caltrop being used for sabotage.

Attachments

• not-caltrops_jackstars_nondug_b5b5_1.jpg
    not-caltrops_jackstars_nondug_b5b5_1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 78
  • ebay_not-Caltrops_non-excvated_blunt-tips.jpg
    ebay_not-Caltrops_non-excvated_blunt-tips.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 76
  • ebay_not-caltrop_Toy_Jackstone_51fb_1.jpg
    ebay_not-caltrop_Toy_Jackstone_51fb_1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 75
  • caltrop_WW2era_British_SOE_OSS_SAS_manual_diagram_trucktire_.jpg
    caltrop_WW2era_British_SOE_OSS_SAS_manual_diagram_trucktire_.jpg