WHITES XLT

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 475
The design seems loosely imitative of those of early 18th century Spanish colonial coins.

Update...

Just noticed the small size... 19mm. That's about right for a real.

In any case, I agree: it's almost certainly a modern replica or imitative fantasy piece.

ha2-2.jpg4ef7_1_bo.JPG

Upvote 0
I believe it is fake. Although it is one that I have not seen before. I notice the lions are facing a different direction. It shows little corrosion. Probably a recently lost poorly cast reproduction from a tourist shop or historic site that involved the old Spanish conquistadors. It does look like lead or a lead based alloy. Until positively identified, it is a mystery of how it came to rest in Colorado.

Upvote 0
had to get the md out. it rings in at about 50 on my xlt. i didnt even think to try thank you!

Upvote 0
Way too round... it's the type of repro. that hits you as fake instantly. (if you look at a lot of cobs/reales) Would get your attention out of the dirt though.

Upvote 0
looks fake or fantasy to me

Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Way too round... it's the type of repro. that hits you as fake instantly. (if you look at a lot of cobs/reales) Would get your attention out of the dirt though.
YEARS BACK I BROUGHT A MD AT PRO-MACK IN A.J. AZ. THEY WERE GIVING OUT SPANISH COINS IF YOU BROUGHT A M.D. FROM THEM. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE FOR WHEN I BROUGHT MINE I FOR GOT ABOUT THE OFFER. ENUFF SAID BUCK

Upvote 0
Buck said:
Iron Patch said:
YEARS BACK I BROUGHT A MD AT PRO-MACK IN A.J. AZ. THEY WERE GIVING OUT SPANISH COINS IF YOU BROUGHT A M.D. FROM THEM. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE FOR WHEN I BROUGHT MINE I FOR GOT ABOUT THE OFFER. ENUFF SAID BUCK
Good clue Buck. I feel that even though it is a repo, it still needs IDed as to where and why it was made. Are there any old Spanish historical sites near the location of where your sister found it? There is some Spanish history in Colorado:

The exact date of the first Spanish entry into the region now called Colorado is undetermined; the explorer Juan de Onate is believed to have traveled into the southeastern area in 1601. More than a century later, in 1706, Juan de Uribarri claimed southeastern Colorado for Spain, joining it with New Mexico. Meanwhile, French traders did little to stake out their claim to the Colorado region, which included most of the area east of the Rocky Mountains. In 1763, France formally ceded the Louisiana Territory to Spain, which returned it to the French in 1801. Two years later, as part of the Louisiana Purchase, Colorado east of the Rockies became US land; the rest of Colorado still belonged to Spain.

Upvote 0
I agree that its not a coin, and lead. However it could have been made for anything, maybe only for the design. But it's in my opinion not a 'FAKE' or counterfit coin.

Upvote 0
I have researched a lot of "weird" old foreign coins and haven't run across any that had the exact same design on both sides. Just some information to put in the mix.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back