✅ SOLVED Thin brass part found 10 inches down. What is it?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had another colonial shoe buckle, but no! Dug this broken brass part about 10 inches down. I usually don't post broken items, but I really need to know how old this part is and what it went to.

My guess is a part to a clock, but I don't think that's what it is. It measures roughly 2 1/4" by 3 ", but some of it is obviously missing. What's weird about it is there's a little gear attached right in the middle of the part. Throw some ideas my way as to it's age and what the heck it went to at one time! Thanks!

DSC03129.JPGDSC03130.JPG

Your theory is correct .. It is part of a clock frame

Upvote 0
Based on how thin the stamping is, and how uniform the holes, I would guess it is part of an electro-mechanical clock from the late first quarter of the 20th century.

Upvote 0
Mud Hut, That was a good idea! I didn't find the exact part, but did find one that was similar. The part is called a back plate and most are rectangular. But I did see a curved one made by the Ansonia Clock Company from Bristol, CT. They were in business from 1850 to 1929. So even though it wasn't made by them, it does give me a better idea as to how old the part may be. Thanks for all the help. I'll mark this one as solved.

675_Ansonia_Before.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back