The yard of Thomas Stewart

onlylar

Feb 2, 2007
Northwest NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher
This was found outside the door of the Thomas Stewart House, Stewartsville, nj.was a notable character during the Revolution(revised since saying he signed the Declaration, thats what the owner said, think its wrong) and the house is on the historical records. Probably George Washington slept there, of course. I am sure there are alot of interesting things laying under that yard, even a little former slave quarters next to it. Anyway, the town was named after him. Use to be called Greenwich in colonial times and on old maps.
The eagle is pewter or something non rusting, about 3 inches across.

Attachments

• eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 688
Re: The yard of John Stewart

That's a very cool eagle. Similar to what would become our national symbol. Just lacks the shield, oliver branch and 13 arrows. That might be a very valuable item. Who knows? I'll give you a quarter for it...Canadian quarter if you prefer. hehehe

Upvote 0

Nice, very nice. Can't wait to see what else you dig up there. Have a good one!

Upvote 0

No... he said John, said it was a historical house... said he signed it... Maybe his buddy who owns the house is pulling his leg!

I was looking for curiosities sake and saw the same list gypsy posted...  :-\

Either way... COOL FIND!!

Upvote 0

Any way ....It looks like it was a door plate...And in earlier times they called this type of bird similiar to the eagle....a Snow Bird

Upvote 0

Furthermore, I believe he meant SINGER at the Declaration of Independence signing.

Obviously a typo.

Tony

Upvote 0
Okay... Now it's been changed to Thomas Stewart... with an update!!  ;) Thanks onlylar, I was starting to confuse myself, which is not that difficult in the first place!   :P

"Incorporated in 1738 Greenwich is one of Warren's oldest townships. At that time it contained most of what is now Warren County. The area was first settled in the late 17th century by pioneers who began farming along the Pohatcong Creek. The only major village in the township is Stewartsville which was a major port along the old Morris Canal. The village was named after Thomas Stewart who was a secretary to George Washington. He purchased 360 acres and began to reside in Greenwich in 1793. The original Stewart home still stands along with many other original farm houses and mills."

Source: http://www.rootsweb.com/~njwarren/wcmunic.html

"Several of our former residents fought in the Revolutionary War. One was Lt. Thomas Stewart whom the hamlet of Stewartsville is named after. Stewart was assigned to Valley Forge and eventually became George Washington’s secretary. The “Father of our Country” attended the Stewart’s wedding. Upon completion of his military responsibilities, he became one of the state’s first civil engineers, surveying most of the farms in Warren County."

Source: http://www.greenwichtownship.com/historical.htm

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back