The Track-Way Site - Day 1 - SAXON SCEAT...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to family commitments today was a short 3 hour solo start on a new area next to ''The Hill''.
Still very sticky with mostly Lead & Buttons but I did manage our 13th Sceat of the year on the 2nd to last run!
Plus a broken Saxon Strap-end.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Upvote 32
Site or detector the reason?
It's always the sites but it's a combination of factors that worked in our favour;
2 large areas with Sceat's in it
12+ inch plough
Then rolling it level
Then leaving it over Winter (Which gave us precious time to do an expansive mega grid, required to find these spread out over many acres)

Good hunt! It's nice to see the finds you bring to light!
It's always the sites but it's a combination of factors that worked in our favour;
2 large areas with Sceat's in it
12+ inch plough
Then rolling it level
Then leaving it over Winter (Which gave us precious time to do an expansive mega grid, required to find these spread out over many acres)
Awesome find…!
I consider myself lucky when I find a hundred year-old coin, but compared to your find…, well…!

You find more in a short 3hr hunt then I would find in 2 weeks. :laughing7:
Is this the broken strap-end that you're referring to Cru... it's a beauty.

Hope you and your Dad are doing well,
Dave

Attachments

• 3-crop.JPG
    3-crop.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 15
Due to family commitments today was a short 3 hour solo start on a new area next to ''The Hill''.
Still very sticky with mostly Lead & Buttons but I did manage our 13th Sceat of the year on the 2nd to last run!
Plus a broken Saxon Strap-end.

View attachment 2061324View attachment 2061325View attachment 2061326View attachment 2061327View attachment 2061328
This is the year of the sceat...any idea on what the symbols represent?

You're beboppin and sceatin all over the place!

Congratulations 👍

Goodness, you found quite a bit in such a short time! Congratulations!
When you find these sceattas, do you submit them to someone for study? I ask because I read this:

“There are relatively few hoards from this period with which to construct even a relative chronology, and any new discovery could radically alter current scholarly understanding.”

You find more in a short 3hr hunt then I would find in 2 weeks. :laughing7:
Is this the broken strap-end that you're referring to Cru... it's a beauty.

Hope you and your Dad are doing well,
Dave
Nope, same picture bottom right with 2 holes.

Thats part of an 18th C Horse Harness Strap Guide.

This is the year of the sceat...any idea on what the symbols represent?

You're beboppin and sceatin all over the place!

Congratulations 👍
They are nick-named Porcupine Sceats, but its a very degraded copy of a Romanised (style) head on the Obverse & the reverse, I have no idea. (looks like a banner or standard?)

Last edited:
Goodness, you found quite a bit in such a short time! Congratulations!
When you find these sceattas, do you submit them to someone for study? I ask because I read this:

“There are relatively few hoards from this period with which to construct even a relative chronology, and any new discovery could radically alter current scholarly understanding.”
As the Sceat's are so Rare (not that we make it look that way...:laughing7:), we voluntarily Record them with the Early Medieval Corpus (EMC). This shares very valuable data on distribution etc...

Here is the latest response from the Museum on this example;

''Thanks for this new find, which I have recorded. A fine example of Series E, Variety G3.
A good day's detecting must be a perfect way to work off any Christmas over-indulgence.
Best regards,''

As you can see we have a good & very speedy response from the Leading Authority on these types of coins.

Is this a normal 3 hour hunt?
That is a month for me.
Nice
Define Normal?:laughing9:

But yes, if in the right areas this is about average, although slightly more buttons that normal. Although I've had days close to this;
Above was only 4 hours....

Define Normal?:laughing9:

But yes, if in the right areas this is about average, although slightly more buttons that normal. Although I've had days close to this;
Above was only 4 hours....
Buttons are certainly one of the most common digs it seems in your dirt.

I remember digging buttons in a corner of a field-got tired of it went off to quieter parts of the abbey.

The next group goes to the field, and a member digs one of the oldest recorded Romans from the button area. :dontknow:

The club had its annual competition 2011/12 season, buttons was the topic.
" Final total 18,890 buttons!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back