The Story Behind Taps

Gypsy. Thank You for the info. I was a soldier for 20 years and for 3 of those years I traveled all over the south serving as the OIC for a burial detail that laid to rest all deceased active duty soldiers and retiree's. I had to provide weapon firers for the 21 gun salute, flag folders and a musician to play taps. Now I know the words. It only took 30 years and you to find out. Thanks again. PJ

I never realized there were lyrics to taps...brings a tear to the eye, thanks for sharing!
Baggins

The earliest official reference to the mandatory use of "Taps" at military funeral ceremonies, is found in The U.S. Army Infantry Drill Regulations for 1891, although it was used unofficially prior to that time under the name "To Extinguish Lights."

http://www.taps.org/publications/TAPS_song.aspx
The history of "Taps" dates back to the British Army's "Last Post," a similar bugle call which was sounded over soldiers' graves beginning in 1885. The music for "Taps" was composed by Gen. Daniel Butterfield in July 1862 for his unit, the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac. Maj. O.W. Norton, a member of Buttterfield's brigade, wote in 1898:

One day, soon after the seven days' battles on the Peninsular...Butterfield sent for me and showing me some notes on a staff written in pencil on the back of an envelope, asked me to sound them on my bugle. I did this several times, playing the music as written. He changed it somewhat, lengthening some notes and shortening others, but retaining the melody as he first gave it to me...he directed me to sound that call for "Taps" thereafter, in place of the regulation call. The music was beautiful on that still summer night...

While there are no "official" words to Taps, these words have often been used:

Fading light dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright,
From afar drawing nigh,
Falls the night.

Dear one, rest!
In the west
Sable night lulls the day on her breast;
Sweet goodnight! Now away, to thy rest.

Love, sweet dreams!
Lo, the beams
Of the light fairy moon kiss the stream.
Love, goodnight! Ah, too soon! Peaceful dreams!

As a young military brat, my father explained to me what taps meant and why it was so important. It was then that I learned the words .I can still remember listening to it being played at JFK's funeral. To this day I can still get a little " emotional ". Thank you soo much Gypsy.

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back