1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3015.jpeg
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3016.jpeg
    IMG_3016.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Upvote 6
Hello Iā€™m new to the forum and my wife found this Tea cup saucer. I donā€™t know anything about ā€œThe Saint Jamesā€ collection and wondering if anyone could help? Thanks
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Welcome to Tnet.

I can find no record of a Gorham pattern called "The St. James" but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Gorham produced hundreds of patterns and they aren't all documented... especially not the short-lived ones.

What I can say is the piece was made in 1917. If you look on the underside, at 6 o' clock relative to the GMCO mark, there's a tiny scimitar mark all by itself. Although Gorham introduced these symbol marks to denote the year of manufacture for their Sterling pieces, they were also used on some silverplate (the 'EP' letters on yours stand for 'Electro-Plate').

Gorham1.jpg

Gorham2.jpg

Would not a pattern name not be on the back or bottom side....I know that is how ceramics are usually marked.

....could be a monogrammed saucer from a St. James hotel for what it's worth. I have found tableware with hotel names monogrammed into the handles.

Would not a pattern name not be on the back or bottom side....I know that is how ceramics are usually marked.

Yes, Gorham usually put pattern names alongside their maker marks, like this for "The Brunswick" pattern.

Brunswick.jpg

However, I have seen 'customer-facing' pattern names within ostentatious designs on tableware. As said, it could equally be a hotel or restaurant name on something custom-produced for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back