1859 penny fort boreman.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 0
found this also..not sure what it is

Attachments

• xxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 873
I dug one of these earlyer this year, the coolest part is the back. No shield ;D

HH,
Donny

Nice find :o... I'm jealous I found an 1865 Indian Head last month and I thought that was old and now you come along and find an 1859 :icon_king:

Congratulations
HH
MichiganRob

djabend said:
I dug one of these earlyer this year, the coolest part is the back. No shield ;D

HH,
Donny
................that is cool i didnt even notice that

Thought I'd bring this post back to life by telling everyone my brother picked one of these up off the ground after doing some excavating on his property. He thought it was a regular penny until he got it home. The date had some corrosion on it and the missing sheild was the only way I could date it.

Very cool, I have yet to dig a "fatty" IH of any year. I got close with an Eagle penny(which was pretty cool). Your second item looks like an ox shoe, I still haven't gotten one of those either.

That is very cool and to think most likely a soldier once had that in his pocket. Now you have it. Just flat out awesome!

gold fish said:
Very cool, I have yet to dig a "fatty" IH of any year. I got close with an Eagle penny(which was pretty cool). Your second item looks like an ox shoe, I still haven't gotten one of those either.
OK so i guess I am going to have to show my ignorance here, what does the term "fatty" mean when used for IH Pennies? I see this from time to time and have tried looking it up but no luck, so please enlighten me, thanks.

Chuck.

Tattooguy67 said:
gold fish said:
OK so i guess I am going to have to show my ignorance here, what does the term "fatty" mean when used for IH Pennies? I see this from time to time and have tried looking it up but no luck, so please enlighten me, thanks.

Chuck.

From 1859-1864 The Indian Head's composition was copper-nickel and were about the same thickness as a nickel if not exactly the same as our modern nickels.. That's why theyre called "fatty's" .. Btw, same signals as pulltabs :thumbsup: Jeff

Thank you for the info Jeff, I knew the part about the composition of the metel and now i know about the fatty part, outstanding and thank you!

Chuck.

Congrats on the oldest indian, it's in very nice shape too, nice find :thumbsup:

Nice IH penny. Looks to be in good shape.
Dman
Dman
Dman
Dman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back