The Mercury Dime?

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

Nudity! Murder! Suicide! And sixty-five years in an insane asylum! All of these things are involved in the lurid story of … the Mercury dime?

Did you know that the first nude movie actress in Hollywood posed for at least one, probably two, United States coins?

Did you know that the portrait on the Mercury dime is not only NOT the Roman god Mercury, it isn't even a male?

Did you know that the real Mercury had wings on his sandals, not his head?

And do you know what mythical character appeared on more United States coins than all other subjects (presidents, statesmen, historical figures) combined?

You'll know all that and more after you listen to my latest podcast.

It's short - about four minutes - and it's at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

Did you know that Mercury dimes aren't made from Mercury, but from Silver :laughing7:

spartacus53 said:
Did you know that Mercury dimes aren't made from Mercury, but from Silver :laughing7:

Now you see. I did not know that. Go figure.

Did you all know that there were US dimes made from aluminum? Frank

Attachments

• HAVRE DE GRACE 013-3.jpg
    HAVRE DE GRACE 013-3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 110
Did you all know that there were US dimes made from aluminum? Frank

Not dimes, Frank, but pennies.

In 1973, the U.S. Mint made over 1 1/2 million aluminum pennies, dated 1974. The idea was to replace copper pennies with aluminum pennies, because copper was too expensive.

But the idea was rejected by congress, and all the aluminum pennies were melted down.

All but about ten of them, that is. One is in the Smithsonian, and the others are "out there" somewhere.

Nine years later, the copper penny was replaced, not by an aluminum penny, but by a zinc penny with an outer layer of zinc.

And Sam, I care. I really do.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back