artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I debated about where to post this, but in the end decided that it's really a What is it:

It was hot last night, and so I took the kids to one of the beaches in our town. We had never been to this particular part of the lake before. I noticed these structures in the picnic area. Here's a little history of the area:

"The size of Harriman Reservoir is impressive, but its history is what grabs your attention. Along the reservoir's floor are remnants of an old logging village that was flooded in the 1920s when the Deerfield River was dammed to generate power.

Harriman Reservoir, also known as Lake Whitingham, is the largest body of water located entirely within the state of Vermont. Enjoyed by boaters, swimmers, paddlers, and fishermen, the reservoir extends about 10 miles from Wilmington to Whitingham in southern Vermont.
The scenic reservoir is owned by TransCanada and is a source of hydroelectricity. Originally developed by the New England Power Company in 1922-23, the reservoir flooded the former pulpwood and lumber village of Mountain Mills, located just outside of Wilmington.

When water levels are low, you can occasionally spot submerged tree stumps and foundations from Mountain Mills. How extraordinary would it be to come across this forgotten little village?"

Here is a postcard of Mountain Mills from the 20's
MountainMillsPostCard.jpg Here's some of what's left of Mountain Mills today: Pyramid 1.JPGThere are three of these pyramidal shaped concrete structures and one square structure that'sstructure 2.JPG filled in with dirt. bbq2.JPG throughout the park, there are what look like foundations with fireplaces that seem to be made of old stones- possibly from foundations. bbq4.JPGfoundation 3.JPGpyramids-structure.JPG Pyramid 2.JPGtop.JPG

Does anyone know what these structures could be?
HarrimanReservoirMap.jpg

Here's a map of the reservoir that was created by flooding the town

Last edited:
There likely was or is a forth pyramid. They were probably from an old water tower and the square in the center is were the piping went into the ground. The pyramids are where the legs bolted to.

Heres a pic of one I cut down in WV ,Dropped it through the roof of the old Taylor smith pottery.e.JPGIt sat on the same pyramid footers and the pipe in the middle went into a concrete square.

Upvote 0
i think Taz is on the right track , they are formed concrete and on the one picture you can actually see the remains of 2 bolts .
they were the base foundation for something , but what it is hard to say , could have been a factory there and there was a chute that had I-Beam supports going to them, could be several things .

Upvote 0
I also agree that they are base foundations to something. Most likely a wood structure. Actually they are similar to concrete footing that can be purchased today at home depot. 12 in. x 8 in. x 12 in.Concrete Pier Block-M1212POSM001 at The Home Depot Wooden beams would have been layed across and anchored down.

I dont know what the square tank is maybe a cistern or septic tank.

One thing I hate about South Florida is we just dont have old places like this available to search and I like your motto Live Free or Die. With so many government regulations we can no longer live free here in South Florida and I cannot even live on my own property because a govt official has decided I am not hurricane rated..

Attachments

• concrete footing.jpg
    concrete footing.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 3,825
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back