The Life of an Ancestor

F

Felinepeachy

If only we could talk to our ancestors, I wonder what they would say. The history they saw in the making, we can only imagine. I feel very fortunate to have found this detailed obituary of my great great grandfather Charles Amos, because part of it was from an interview the newspaper had with him prior to his death.

PARNELL SENTINEL

Charles Amos was born December 25, 1805 and died at his home in Parnell, MO., Thursday morning March 8, 1906, at 9 a.m., aged 100 years, 2 months and 11 days. Services were held in the M. E. church Monday morning, by Rev Stoke and internment took place in the Parnell cemetery.

Charles Amos was born in Bedford County, Virginia, on Christmas day 1805 where he resided until 1812 when his father was killed at Norfolk in the war of that year. A short time after his father's death he moved with his mother to Kentucky. He remembered distinctly the war between the Americans and the Britishers in their scarlet uniform. He often recalled the great enthusiasm awakened by General Jackson's victory over the enemy under Pakenham at New Orleans.

At the age of 18 years he moved to Indiana and when the Black Hawk Indian war broke out in 1832 he enlisted and served until it's close. He drew a pension as a veteran of that war. During this war he visited the present site of Chicago, the troops being camped for a short time on the shore of the lake. Not a white family was then living there.

He cast his first vote for Andrew Jackson but was a Republican for many years prior to his death.

He came to Missouri in 1869 and he and his wife have resided in Parnell with their son Frank and family for the last seven or eight years. He has been married twice, and twelve children and a widow survive him. His mother was 103 at the time of her death. He has a sister who lives at Omaha at the age of 92 years. His wife is 78 years old and was formally Miss Catherine Price.

Mr. Amos was a member of the Dunkard church which he joined when a young man and had remained in that faith to the time of his death.

Few people who saw Mr. Amos for the first time would think he was as old as he was. He stood erect, had a thick head of hair, which was only partially gray, and a fairly strong voice. He had a strong memory and could talk entertainingly on early happenings. His eyesight and hearing were somewhat impaired. About three years ago he had an attack of small pox. His sickness was of short duration, being sick only an hour or two.

Tue St. Louis Post Dispatch had a representative here three or four weeks ago who had a long interview with Mr. Amos regarding his long life which will soon be published together with his picture.

(The rest of the obit names all the children and where they live etc.)

Attachments

• Charles Amos Obit1.jpg
    Charles Amos Obit1.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 405
  • Charles Amos Obit2.jpg
    Charles Amos Obit2.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 423
Mighty AP said:
That is very very cool Peachy, I love history especially when it connects to family. How cool would it be to sit & talk with him for an hour or two? :icon_thumleft:

Cool story, along with AP'S comment, what questions would you ask?

Blacksheep said:
Mighty AP said:
That is very very cool Peachy, I love history especially when it connects to family. How cool would it be to sit & talk with him for an hour or two? :icon_thumleft:

Cool story, along with AP'S comment, what questions would you ask?

I'd love to hear about his role in the war of the Blackhawk Indians, how he met his 1st wife, politics from his point of view at that time. So many questions. When I was a kid I loved sitting at the table & talking to my grandparents about what things were like when they were young, so many fascinating stories. When I was a teenager there was an elderly couple across the street from me, we became very close & spent many hours sitting at their kitchen table talking. Well, they talked & I mostly listened. How they met & fell in love, eloped & married as teenagers, how tough it was to survive then, how things were so different in that area back in the 20's & 30's. Great stories & this couple became so dear to me, I still think about them often & my eyes get a lil' damp.

My grandfather was born in 1893 and my grandmother was born in 1920, there was quite an age difference. My grandmother is still living and she will be 90 in September. When my grandfather was still living, we used to sit with him and ask him questions about his life, how it was growing up, things he had done, etc and we recorded it all on cassette tapes. So today, we can still pop in a micro cassette and listen to papa tell his stories. He was quite the story teller. I don't know, it's kind of surreal to think about that much time passing and how much all of our ancestors contributed to this country and we never really give it a second thought for the most part, but we should. We're all here because of the good strong stock we came from. And they had to be some tough folks to make it during the times they lived in. We are all so lucky.

Very good info you found, the newspapers that have articles like that are worth their weight in you know what for sure. You are fortunate to have such a great article on him!!

I have been lucky to have found a somewhat similar article recently on my great great grandfather also, he was born in 1828 and died in 1911 and worked for the Reading Company (Reading Railroad) from 1847 (Age 17) till he retired from the Railroad in 1902 because of age limit (he was 71). I never knew it but during his 54 years of working for Reading RR he was for many years a Engineer for the Passenger train from Reading to Pottsville Pa. ( My grandson thinks it is cool he has a gggg grandfather who was a Choo Choo Engineer :hello2:

Here is one article on my gg grandfather that was in the Reading Eagle Newspaper May 8th, 1910.

I also found a neat article concerning my Mom's father (my grandfather of course) who was arrested, not once but twice by the Feds for selling alcohol in his Saloon during Prohibition! My Mom was alive and well then and living on the second floor of the Saloon when both raids happened.
(Reading Eagle article Feb 6, 1930) My grandfather's portion of the article is the Joseph L Springer one, my Mom thinks he gave a false name when arrested since his name was John and not Joseph, or else the newspaper got the first name wrong. LOL.

Attachments

• BenHartmanRRman.jpg
    BenHartmanRRman.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 364
  • SpringerSaloonRaid2addedtext.jpg
    SpringerSaloonRaid2addedtext.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 357
WOW Don, that is awesome! And what a hard working man he was too. Don't ya just love old stories like that? I do. :thumbsup: ;D

HI: very interesting data. Gracias.

Black sheep: You posted -->what questions would you ask?
Simple, where did it start to go wrong? Why are the peeps of the US so willing to give up what they won with blood and unbelievable hardship in exchange for what?? Where did we lose the spirit ?

Don Jose de La Mancha

After my paternal grandmother passed away back in 2006, as we were cleaning out the house (that had been in the family since 1849 or so) we discovered that grandma (and likely her mother-in-law before her) had never thrown ANYthing family-ish away. There were boxes and boxes of letters, and postcards, the deeds for the property going back to its original homestead deed, all of the farm financial books, photos upon photos, marrriage licenses, clipped obits, you name it. I have all of it in bins and boxes with the ambitious (daunting ?) goal of scanning and cataloging it all............

I love all the history, and the untold stories.

Diggem'

Attachments

• xs_unknown008.jpg
    xs_unknown008.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 309
Diggemall said:
After my paternal grandmother passed away back in 2006, as we were cleaning out the house (that had been in the family since 1849 or so) we discovered that grandma (and likely her mother-in-law before her) had never thrown ANYthing family-ish away. There were boxes and boxes of letters, and postcards, the deeds for the property going back to its original homestead deed, all of the farm financial books, photos upon photos, marrriage licenses, clipped obits, you name it. I have all of it in bins and boxes with the ambitious (daunting ?) goal of scanning and cataloging it all............

I love all the history, and the untold stories.

Diggem'

OMG I would LOVE THAT!!! You are so lucky to have all that family history to go through. Can you post more old pics?

Real de Tayopa said:
HI: very interesting data. Gracias.

Black sheep: You posted -->what questions would you ask?
Simple, where did it start to go wrong? Why are the peeps of the US so willing to give up what they won with blood and unbelievable hardship in exchange for what?? Where did we lose the spirit ?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Not a question I would be asking if I had the time available (as it wouldn't apply). With all due respect, you may have lost the spirit but I have not, as a matter of fact we are living our dream just as we intended it. :wink:

HI Blacksheep: You posted --> you may have lost the spirit but I have not, as a matter of fact we are living our dream just as we intended it.

----------------5th-------------- while it still lasts.

As a matter of fact, this is why I am an expatriate looking for lost Jesuit mines, etc. Still have what I inherited in full flavor, Responsibility for myself and the eternal quest for freedom in so much as it is possible. I refuse to trade that in for a benevolent big Brother life.

www.explorers.org

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee290/Tayopa/ExploirersClubmembershipdocument.jpg

Don Jose de La Mancha

Ok, we're talking about our ancestors and the lives they lived, not politics. Personally I find the everyday life of our ancestors fascinating and that's what I want to talk about here. If I could ask my ancestors questions they would be the silly ones like, "Weren't you worried about spiders being in that outhouse?" Or, "Ewwww, how could you eat that?" :tongue3:

So true, they did things & had experiences that so few of us could have made it through..........& they did it daily. Today there are so many things to occupy my time, TV, computer, metal detecting. Our grandparents were always busy, fixing, tinkering, cooking meals, cleaning. Even when I was a kid my grandparents were always doing something, seemed the only time they settled down was once every week to watch Lawrence Welk! Incredible energy right up until the end. Amazing people!

I have questions about my two grandfathers that Id love to have answers to someday. My maternal grandfather did not talk about his family to anybody, rumor was that he had a full blooded Cherokee mother & white father in Missouri but we still dont know. We all knew he was in the Great War & had a bad time of it but never spoke of it. My father told me that over the years he would occasionaly ask his father-in-law about the war & gramps would not say a word. Finally in the late 80's just before gramps died he agreed to talk to Pop about it. He said he was a courier in France, drove a vehicle of some kind, delivered orders back & forth from the front. He left the front with orders & took a wrong turn & ended up in enemy territory, drove right through enemy lines with Germans shooting from both sides at him. He was hit a number of times & finally drove off the road & flipped the truck. He was left for dead & layed in under the the truck for several days until the allies took that territory. He was put in a hospital in France where he was expected to die, but hung on until he was released over a year later. When returning home he discovered that his entire family thought he was dead, his father had already spent the insurance money from Uncle Sam. This caused quite a rift so Gramp went to the west coast & forgot about his entire family. Id like to know about his family.......my family.
My paternal grandfather fought in the Pacific in WW2, I asked him about it when I was in my mid 20's. He said he was on Okinawa, Philipines & other Islands but always showed up after the fighting was over, he never saw any action at all & there was no war stories for him to tell me. I forgot about it until his funeral a few years ago. It was mentioned in the obituary that he received 2 purple hearts & a couple other medals as well, I was perplexed. I mentioned this to his brother & all he would tell me was "Thats what he told you?? Wow, he went through hell!" He was an amazing man & Id really like to know what he went through.

I wouldn't ask my ancestors much about politics at all. I would ask them about good places to fish and where they had found arrowheads. When I was born in the 50's we were very poor and still had one foot back in the 19th century, no electric, outhouses, etc., so I pretty much know how day to day life went. A lot of my family grew up in the Indian Nations in Oklahoma, and I knew many of them when they were alive. It would be cool to talk to them before they got religion, as they wouldn't talk about much when they got older. I asked them about the James boys and got told to study on the ways of Jesus and not them bad men. One uncle did tell us he was impressed with Belle Starr's horse, as she could get it to cross a railroad bridge and the horse knew to step on the ties. It would be nice to get them to open up and tell me about that period in Oklahoma from about the 1830's on, without them fearing retribution from the laws.

Well Spooky they thought it was between them and their God so they didn't say sh*t to me. My Great-Grandpa L. R. Ginn got shot and killed by lawmen in McComb OK IT in 1904. He was a lawman too, but things were convuleted in the Indian Nations. One of the killers got arrested at the scene but the other one took off. My uncles saddled up and took off after him. The official story was they came back and never found him. They found him and killed him sure as sh*t. He deserved to be killed for shooting Grandpa, and they did right. They might have told where they left him so his people could go out and give him a proper burial and place flowers on his grave on Decoration Day, I guess, but they never said nothin. I would have rode him down with them and killed him too, the sorry s.o.b., and I guess I would never have said nothin about it later either.

Felinepeachy said:
OMG I would LOVE THAT!!! You are so lucky to have all that family history to go through. Can you post more old pics?

I can't get at them right now as my personal PC Technician (Mrs Diggemall) is presently upgrading our network file server to give us more raid storage space.

Worst part is trying to find / make the time to go through all of it.

Diggem'

Those folks were Tough!
In the first post it said the fellow had smallpox but got over it in a couple hrs. !

I was raised by my Grandfolks as a little kid.
Gpa was born in 1887 in Tennesee and Gma in 1900 in "Indian Territory".
Told of moving to California in a covered wagon and being afraid of Gypsies.
When I lived with them it was in the Mohave Desert and we had no elect or anything else.
Water was hauled in and the outhouse sometimes had rattlers.

Met my GGma in Ashland Or. in 1963.
She was born in 1870 and was splitting kindling when I met her.
Didn't talk much.
By 1969 she was pretty feeble and could hardly remember things.

When my son was learning to walk we had a roller walker thing for him.
I came around the corner to the back porch and my Gpa (who just had heart surgery at 97) was in a walker too. Wish I could have gotten a pic as they looked at each other.
1 tall and old and the other young and little.
Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back