Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The heat can't stop me! or maybe so

Got out this morning again to the Northern Neck of Virginia this time Richmond County,Virginia (Warsaw) dug around an old foundation, archaeology hole style (sure the archies love me saying that) found a 19th century champagne bottle, a small buckle that has "pat april 20th 1875" (could date anywhere from 1875-17 years+) and a horse ring! had too stop early due to heat...

Also included are all the flat buttons I have dug within the past two-three months in the Northern Neck of Virginia but don't include all the civilian flower buttons i have dug. Good luck everyone and keep cool.

Attachments

• P7190414.JPG
    P7190414.JPG
    770.8 KB · Views: 153
  • P7190415.JPG
    P7190415.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 151
  • P7190416.JPG
    P7190416.JPG
    728.4 KB · Views: 141
  • P7190417.JPG
    P7190417.JPG
    664.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Upvote 7
Nice finds, Hutsitedigger, I agree the heat of the past week has made any digging hard-but there nonetheless we are, right?
I like the bottle-Last Sunday I found a green wine? bottle with that same kind of bottom at an old town dump site where I collected quite a few
late 19th century bottles and other items. BTW, would you explain what you mean by "archaeology hole style" do you mean gridding?
I have a few cellar holes I've hunted extensively around, and I think I've recovered most of the near surface items. I have not done any excavation within the cellar holes-just digging about a foot into trash pits, or just probing the surface inside the cellar hole.
I read your recent article "so, you want to dig a cellar hole?" and thought it was very informative. If I could systematically excavate any of the
cellar holes I know of over time I would, but I need to take a less ambitious approach. I think I want to dig a corner inside the hole, and a small area just outside. I'd very much appreciate any suggestions or comments regarding this subject.
just outside the cellar hole

archaeology hole style is just a term i use when i mean like digging out a 6x10 area real nice and slow. This morning started digging the hole around 6:30am and ended around 11am..Hit a few pieces of large broken glass at about 2 feet down ! so i slowed down my digging and used the trowel and took my time looking for a full bottle! there was lot of green/dark green glass mostly larger pieces and from my experience when you see large broken glass that is a good clue there is something intact somewhere near by... when you see a-lot of small broken glass it seems less likely something may be intact at least for me but you should still dig slow and be on the lookout for bottles even if it is lot of small broken pieces in the hole you are digging. Anyway! just scored quite a common bottle. i would say out of all the bottles I have dug 80% of them are either a wine/champagne or a medical bottle. My last bottle I dug in tact was last month it was a medical bottle from the 1890s "Dr. Miles Heart Cure" on it. I use to get excited about bottles when I first started digging them in the Civil War huts and thought I had a awesome rare bottle every-time i dug one!! then I would take them to a friend of mine who is been doing it forever and he would say "Yah thats a rare bottle but it's only worth $20" and thats how it seems with me. I just can't find that one very rare bottle that is worth like $700 you know. It is always a wine or champagne bottle or some silly common medical bottle but never that one REAL good bottle! hopefullly my luck will change soon with bottles but anyway.. Thanks and good luck.

Speaking of flower/civilian buttons....I just now bought this Confederate beauty from Larry Hicklen. He dug it in Wharton's 1863 Texas Cavalry camp located in Middle Tennessee.

flowerb.JPG

She is a beauty!! Here are all the civilian flower buttons i have dug these past couple months in the northern neck of virginia

Attachments

• P7190420.JPG
    P7190420.JPG
    728.8 KB · Views: 124
You are doing much better than 'well'! That's quite a variety there. Where are you finding your flower buttons? Camps? Old homesites? Thanks for sharing....glad to see the success that you are having.

Instead of calling the button I just bought from Larry a 'flower button' he calls that particular one a 'floral' type. Have you came across one like it?

The Northern Neck of Virginia is got some of the most oldest richest history in north america. There were many of many plantation sites from the 17th-19th centuries through out the northern neck. I don't know if you know of the Northern Neck (most get it confused with Northern,Virginia) but it is toward the eastern part of Virginia. It is where George Washington's mother (Mary) and his father were born and lived on plantations in Lancaster,Virginia and in Westmoreland,Virginia there is Stratford Hall birthplace of General Lee, etc, etc. There was very very little Civil War action in the Northern Neck but there were some small skirmishes that happen in Northumberland,Virginia mostly near the river. There was also some War of 1812 camps and skirmishes in the Northern Neck but there was very little military events happening. The Northern Neck is mostly open fields, woods, etc. Very large area that surrounds a few counties. Lot of places have never seen a MDer out in the Northern Neck. I research old plantation sites and old house sites through out the northern neck. I must be a member of over 20 different hunting clubs in The Northern Neck and very rarely ever go out game hunting but use the access to relic hunt. Very open area. If you ever get time or bored research some of the history of the Northern Neck. 80% of what you find out in the neck are civilian artifacts and lots of flat buttons.

wow now that is nice. i was thinking i could get a back-mark and id the time period for you to make sure if this would have been in the texas civil war camp or not to me it fits the time frame of late 1840s-1850s. As you know it is common to find civilian buttons in civil war camps that were there pre or post from the soldiers being there. But this looks like it could surely have been dropped in the camp by one of the texas soldiers or by a civilian that was there bringing them food and supplies. neat piece of history!

Last edited:
Wow,that bottle is a buet!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back