The Gleaners? What is this? New York Edition

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Cabella's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow::dontknow: DSCN8743.JPGDSCN8744.JPGDSCN8745.JPGDSCN8746.JPGDSCN8747.JPGDSCN8748.JPGDSCN8749.JPGDSCN8741.JPGDSCN8742.JPG

Dunno, like the frame though, Arts&Crafts Mission style, quarter sawn oak I would presume

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
They are "Gleaners," who are picking up every last kernel of grain available after the harvest, thus "gleaning" the cut field of anything edible. Classic European farm scene. Cool old print, Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
Very common picture in old German-Canadian / Mennonite homes... My Grandparents still have that picture on their wall (very mass produced... even saw it as a 1000pc puzzle once)

Upvote 0
Gleaning was a biblical allowance made for the poor and destitute people who did not have their own fields to harvest for food, made possible by a law. Field owners were not to reap areas around the perimeter of the fields so that the poor could help themselves to what was left over, the gleanings. Lot of lessons there.

Upvote 0
We had an identical print in the Methodist/Episcopal Church that was my childhood church established 1860+/-) and a group called "The Gleaners" was basically a sunday-school adult class/group.

In biblical through feudal times the landowner left a portion of the crops unharvesed for widows and the poor to take. The "Gleaners" were that group. From which the 10% tithe comes from (left for the poor/needy).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now the next question is ............. I wonder if that is where the Gleaner name came from on the present day Gleaner Combine ??

Upvote 0
Now the next question is ............. I wonder if that is where the Gleaner name came from on the present day Gleaner Combine ??

Surely does but not due to any reverent feelings for mercy towards the poor and lowly. Just a catchy phrase nowadays. I remember way back, sneaking a few corn cobs from the roadside fields in Illinois and risking getting shot for doing so....but then again I was no orphan or widow.:laughing7:

Upvote 0
Very common picture in old German-Canadian / Mennonite homes... My Grandparents still have that picture on their wall (very mass produced... even saw it as a 1000pc puzzle once)
Yeah, a famous and popular painting. I have a plate somewhere with The Gleaner's depicted on it. We have a longtime member here with the username gleaner1, he uses the painting as his avatar.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back