The Cobblestone Ranch Thread

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
The Cobblestone ranch turned out some more goodies today. I have decided never to stay over an hour. The last two days I hit everything good in an hour and the rest of the day was spent fishing crappies, er pennies out of the rocks. Today I hit a loud squawking silver signal and was stupid enough to go hammering away with the screwdriver and nicked up a 1964 silver dime. Give me a break, I had dug 3 dozen pennies late yesterday, and dug from 8am to 6pm. So of course I thought it was another penny. My Bounty Humper thinks most pennies are dimes and quarters anyway. So I was ready when the next signal told me it was a quarter. I Paleontologisted the thing up and was lucky I did. 1955 Silver Wash. Quarter. I saw an old style nail lying there, picked it up, Found an old screw-on earring, and this pin that says Modern Health Crusader, and I guess it's the Am. Lung Assn. logo, or ACS, somebody. After the good stuff came out in an hour, It was off to the penny wars again. But like I said, dig it and go or do pennies for an hour more.

Attachments

• Finds 10-17-05a.jpg
    Finds 10-17-05a.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 330
  • Finds 10-17-05b.jpg
    Finds 10-17-05b.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0
More awesome finds!!!? Get a brass probe or something softer if you need to, screwdrivers are bad for coins lol.? Nice finds again!? ?;D

Oh yeah, looks like you have a super silver honey hole!!!

Wow slug !It sounds like you gotta real sweet spot there! Please keep diggin and posting,as I will enjoy hearing more about this spot.CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WTG!,and good luck with the rest.

Sweet finds, WTG and keep us up to date with your adventures in MD'ing

Great finds. I am having trouble imagining what the surface looks like that you are digging. Would you mind shooting a pic of it for me? Thanks! Monty

See, you have become a Silver Slob. ;D Nice finds. I have done the "stones" thing. Takes about 2-3 times as long to dig. I don't blame you for keeping the place secret. I would too until I was fairly certain I had really done it justice. Sounds like you might have a ways to go yet. Keep at it. Maybe a pickax would be a better digging tool. ;)

Any wheats?

Bob

Wow! Great stuff! And the pics are great too!

Nana ;)

Darn, and I was planning on sneaking over to Tennessee and squatting on your site! I would know just exactly where it is from a picture of the ground too! All kidding aside, I have no interest in looking for your site, just don't know what a cobble stone surface is? Is it stones laid out in a pattern where you have to lift them up and look under them? That's what I am imagining in my minds eye. Monty

Monty said:
Is it stones laid out in a pattern where you have to lift them up and look under them?? That's what I am imagining in my minds eye.? Monty
No, you would never be able to lift out these stones, the surface you see is like the berg that sunk the titanic.? tightly packed.? Below ground there is 9/10's of the actual stone.? What you get you get from scraping through the silt of time around the edges of the stones.? In some places there is no silt room, in others, veritable fields of grass seem to have taken root.? But you just run a coil over all the seams and wait for the beep.? When you find one, you root through, at most, 2 inches of soil with the tip of a screwdriver and hope you don't nick something good.? Hell on the soles of the feet, hell on the back and knees, but still a joy to hunt.?

? ? ? ? Are these coins on edge between the stones? ?

? ? Like Monty, I was thinking about squatting on your site. ?But I coudn't find my newspaper.

? Very nice finds!! ? ?Keep it going! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH

Nice location, I have always wanted to hunt down town Nashville where the wharf was but construction has changed everything and the cumberland doesn't seem to get as low as the "ole muddy" plus I don't really like hunting around people. I've seen pics of the old steam boats with gang planks and stacks of supplies along the river. Just has to be someting good there with all the commerce and civil war activity.

Good spot, hope it keeps giving.

cool finds,

hh

lonewolfe

Neat stuff !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back