The BEST Cache Hunting detector is......

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
actually I'm looking for your opinions. Here's mine. GTI2500 with the 12.5 imaging coil, Eric Fosters Goldscan 5C with an 18" coiltek coil. What about a Sovereign GT with one of those new 12x16 SEF coils. Can a Sovereign or Explorer be considered a "great" cache hunting detector? I understand even a cheap vlf detector can find a cache. But what makes a great cache hunting detector. Some of the characteristics would be, a superior ground balance circuit, great depth, ability to fasten on a monster coil (12"+), a responsive all metal circuit and any other add on (like the GTI imaging) is a bonus what in a great cache hunting detector. What about the Nautilus with its 15" coil where you can hear ferrous and non ferrous signals both coming into separate ears ready for the brain to evaluate. And let's not forget the GP4500 with a coiltek UFO coil, WOW it makes my head spin and back hurt thinking about that set up.

For REAL caches, you can't beat a two-box for depth. I like the Discovery TF900 (better than White's due to auto ground balance).

If there is ANY ferrous metal around the cache (iron box, locks, guns, tools, etc), then absolutely nothing beats a Proton Magnetometer (except maybe Ground Penetrating Radar).

Mike

Real de Tayopa said:
HI: Best cache hunting detector is Gollum, get him to help you, Incdentally, I agree with his selection.

Don Jose de La Mancha

AWRRRR.....Gawrsh.......shucks,

Thanks Joe,

I do the best I can with what God gave me.

Best-Mike

Been told the Whites with the 15" and 25" on an XL Pro is about the best you are going to get for finding large iron. Most detectors like the SD2200 and GP4500 are fashioned for gold. Even though both machines can find gold or iron some machines are best suited for certain types of metal and sensitized or desensitized for the object in questions size. Finding large iron is different than looking for small gold chains.

landman said:
actually I'm looking for your opinions. Here's mine. GTI2500 with the 12.5 imaging coil, Eric Fosters Goldscan 5C with an 18" coiltek coil. What about a Sovereign GT with one of those new 12x16 SEF coils. Can a Sovereign or Explorer be considered a "great" cache hunting detector? I understand even a cheap vlf detector can find a cache. But what makes a great cache hunting detector. Some of the characteristics would be, a superior ground balance circuit, great depth, ability to fasten on a monster coil (12"+), a responsive all metal circuit and any other add on (like the GTI imaging) is a bonus what in a great cache hunting detector. What about the Nautilus with its 15" coil where you can hear ferrous and non ferrous signals both coming into separate ears ready for the brain to evaluate. And let's not forget the GP4500 with a coiltek UFO coil, WOW it makes my head spin and back hurt thinking about that set up.
...............................................................No one has mentioned using a Garrett Deep Seeker or a D-Tex SK50 WITH A

landman said:
..........................................................No one has mentioned using a Garrett DeepSeeker or a D-Tex SK 50 with a 14 or 15 inch coil, which are GOOD, DEEP detectors!! Also if the soil is not mineralized a Garrett Hunter BFO with the 12 by 24 inch coil or the 24 by 24 inch coil!!...........Joe

So what if you were looking for large, deep caches, say something like a KGC cache that are supposed to be at 15-25 feet? Is a Two-Box the only thing that it is going to pick it up? Also, what about discrimination? Does it descriminate like a smaller coil detector? Will it tell the difference between a big cannon ball and a mason jar (or several) full of silver dollars at 5-10 feet, and does it give a potential depth? Or does it just tell you that there is "something metal" there and not tell you how deep it is? What about the magnetometer? I have heard they only work for ferrous metals? So a stack of silver or gold coins are going to go unnoticed if they were buried in a sack rather than an iron box? Sounds like to me I need a two box if I want to cache hunt.

Attachments

• Eagle eye.JPG
    Eagle eye.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 910
  • Eagle eye.JPG
    Eagle eye.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 837

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back