Thanks PBK for ID !! Updated with new picture Coin? Token?

riverpie

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Classic II
I found this about 10 years ago about 12" deep. It is corroded bad on one side and I did find a reproduction at an antique store once that would have showed what it looked like originally but someone else bought it. Go figure. I think it was a horse pulling a carriage of some sort on the corroded side if that helps. It's not magnetic and it looks like it has writing, maybe CFA 63 on the better side of it. Can't quite make it out. Does anybody know what it is?
Found in the Nashville, Tn. area.
Thanks,
Riverpie

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 367
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 362
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 363
Re: Coin? Token?

Telling us where you found it and posting some better pictures would help a lot...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Re: Coin? Token?

Thanks. I'll redo the pics. I found the item in the Nashville Tn. area in a park.

Upvote 0
Re: Updated with new picture Coin? Token?

riverpie said:
I found this about 10 years ago about 12" deep. It is corroded bad on one side and I did find a reproduction at an antique store once that would have showed what it looked like originally but someone else bought it. Go figure. I think it was a horse pulling a carriage of some sort on the corroded side if that helps. It's not magnetic and it looks like it has writing, maybe CFA 63 on the better side of it. Can't quite make it out. Does anybody know what it is?
Found in the Nashville, Tn. area.
Thanks,
Riverpie looks like an elephant to me. Bob

Upvote 0

I think this is probably a 20th century copy of an ancient (c. 475-450 B.C.) coin of Gela, Sicily, depicting a man-headed bull, the river god Gelas. There are many varieties. Here are a couple of examples.

Jenkins_354.jpg SNGANS_007.jpg

Gunner should be able to help with a more precise identification.

Upvote 0

PBK said:
I think this is probably a 20th century copy of an ancient (c. 475-450 B.C.) coin of Gela, Sicily, depicting a man-headed bull, the river god Gelas. There are many varieties. Here are a couple of examples.

Gunner should be able to help with a more precise identification.

Yeap

Upvote 0

Thanks alot PBK. I've wondered for years what this coin was. I found it from your description. I typed in "coin of gela" and the 3rd link had a picture in it. Here is what it would look like if in good condition. Thanks again.

This is what it said beside the picture:

Copies with a 'copy' countermark
Shown is a copy of a coin of Gela, Sicily. There is an unidentifiable countermark on the obverse as well as the 'copy' countermark on the reverse.

Attachments

• copy.jpg
    copy.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0
Glad I could help... and by the way, welcome to the forum! :) It's great to have you join us, and I'll be watching for your future posts and finds

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back