North Texas

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 319
  • button (2).jpg
    button (2).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 312
It looks like a Texas confederate Civil War button, but I am not an expert.

I believe Scovill made the EXTRA QUALITY buttons and Albert TX 17 is close to yours but has a different backmark.

Upvote 0
I just checked both Albert's and Tice's button books. Unfortunately your button appears to be post CW era based on the backmark. Nearly all of the Texas confederate buttons have no backmark, the only two do not match your EXTRA QUALITY mark.

It is still a great button!

Upvote 0
Just a reminder on an important clue for backmark time-dating, which I've mentioned previously here at TreasureNet.

At least for American buttons, a backmark's lettering-style (also called "font") can almost always tell you whether the button is pre-1866, or post-1866. I've studied all of the photos of backmarks in the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on backmark-dating. Very nearly every pre-1866 Americanbackmark used "serif" letters instead of "plain" letters. Serifs are the little tabs or hooks on the end of a letter's arms. On Just-dig's button, the backmark's letters have no serifs ...they are just "plain" lettering. When you see "plain" lettering on an American backmark, the odds are literally 99% that it is a post-1866 backmark.

Here's a photo of four various fake slave-tags, showing plain letters and serifed letters.

Attachments

• slave-tags_FAKE_plainletters-versus-Serifletters_pic9180.jpg
    slave-tags_FAKE_plainletters-versus-Serifletters_pic9180.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back