Temporarily inactive for 30 years.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, its been 30 years since I have been out and about. I’ve upgraded my old digging tool and stepped into the 21st century with a 3 month old E-trac. Wow…after swinging the E-trac for only a few minutes I can see it has balance issues. My old Garrett ADS was much heavier but better balanced. Should I put a counter weight on the E-Trac? i have so many questions! Anyhow...A little background. I was very active in the late 70s and early 80s and found more silver and gold than i can remember. Most of the silver and gold was sold as fast as it came out of the ground to help pay for gas and food. I did lots of relic hunting on Guam and Okinawa. I have recently sold most of my war relics to fund the E-trac. I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do, but its done and i am back.

I didn't dig for 20. They went out and found my first gold coin, gold ring (a year later) and yesterday a 14k gold earring. Good luck. You never really forget how.

Welcome aboard ! :icon_thumleft:

I never found a gold Coin. Its on my bucket list. This E-trac is gonna take some getting used to for sure. I have not heard alot about it finding gold but i understand its a silver hound and silver is what i like.

Welcome to TreasureNet. You'll find friends here and a whole lot of knowledge.

I too was inactive for 20 years, neared retirement and decided to jump back in. Back in our day it was all about the sounds. Knowing that, I felt I made the obvious choice in an E-Trac. It was a bit of a shock all those sounds the Minelabs will throw at you. Just be patient and remember that it's a sound machine extroidinaire.. You'll hear everything. It will frustrate the heck out of you for a while. Stick with it, and it will click and you won't go back. It's okay to look at the FE-CO numbers, but don't do that unless you've one of those convincing sounds. Don't be afraid to dig everything at first = the best way to learn.

Here's some links which won't hurt you :)

Etrac Tutorial Videos - Saving History One Piece at a Time

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/339939-how-hunt-deeper-finds-etrac.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/333416-does-anyone-use-ttf-e-trac-2.html

lol Indeed i hope to get as good with the minelab as i did with the ADS. It was rare for me to look at the meter. one thing is sure. I like the idea of a hand held electronic pinpointer. I still have my old blunt ice pick with the ball handle. Should i burry the old pinpointer and let someone find it 100 years from now?

lol Indeed i hope to get as good with the minelab as i did with the ADS. It was rare for me to look at the meter. one thing is sure. I like the idea of a hand held electronic pinpointer. I still have my old blunt ice pick with the ball handle. Should i burry the old pinpointer and let someone find it 100 years from now?

I still have mine as well! Ain't no way that baby will get buried! Might come in handy :)

Now that we have the electronic pin pointer, good gracious finding a target is so much easier! Especially in sand.

Do you still have your ADS III ? I don't even remember what I did with mine, sure would love to have it back again. I did keep my Fisher (hung up the ADS when I got that). And that Fisher is just about every bit as capable as modern detectors. I've switched completely to the CTX now from the E-Trac.

Last edited:
nah...the ADS 3 went away when i got the ADS 7 and the ADS 7 was beat to death in the jungles of Guam and Okinawa. It still worked but looked pretty rough. I sold it at a local flea market for 50 bucks. I have been looking at them on E-Bay. My only big issue with the ADS was the batteries. 6 expensive 9 volts good for a day or two at most.

Welcome back to one of the most enjoyable hobby!

metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Hello and welcome to the site...
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. This site is GIANT. Its like a treasure Found Mag on steroids. And i don't have to wait every month to get it! Whooohooooo!

Wel-come to the :tchest:

Welcome from Charlotte!

Welcome back to the swingers club. Apparently everyone here swings both ways :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back