Teller Delivers Something Different

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last Thursday as I dumped my weekly (skunk) half dollar box, one of the tellers said that she had 5 half dollars and asked if I wanted them.

Of course I said, "Yes" and I could see the unmistakable clad stripe of copper on them.

When she gave them to me I noticed (even without wearing my glasses) that they were impaired proofs.

The picture doesn't do them justice, but they are only lightly impaired. Dates : '71S, '73S, '82S, '88S, and '90S

What makes this story a little strange is that this particular bank has two coin machines : one in the lobby out front for the general public and one in the safe deposit room that the tellers use. The machine in the lobby does not accept half dollars (note that the tellers dump my halves in the machine in the back).

Given that there are 5 different dates, I wonder (suspect) that someone cracked open 5 proof sets and dumped them in the lobby machine only to find the halves being rejected, so he / she brought them to the teller.

Were that to be the case, someone in the MetroWest region of Massachusetts will likely find proof cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters with these dates in the next Loomis box.

Attachments

• halves 13 jun 2024.jpg
    halves 13 jun 2024.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back