Technique

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Okay so I have become fairly adept at roughing out a core into a basic shape using my small hammerstone. Not too shabby. And I can do edgework fairly well using an Ishi stick.
BUT...
when it comes to reducing the profile I am missing something crucial. A lot of my points and blades end up being fat. I can't find a "grab" for my Ishi to flake off anything in the middle. I am also unable to produce the long flakes that I desperately NEED to be able to produce.

I am using old bottle bottoms since they seem thick and stable enough for knapping. Mason jars and especially flat pint liquor bottles. Beer bottles are way too thin. It takes nothing to make a point from such thin material and they tend to be curved or dished so I don't use it unless I have nothing else to use or I am super bored making something for my daughter. I have stopped using TV tube glass because it stacks and powders and looks like crap. Shame because it's so thick. I think it's something to do with the way it's manufactured. It couldn't POSSIBLY be my fault! ::)

I have watched countless videos on YouTube(best thing on the Internet) and still can't find specifics on reducing the profile other than long flakes which I cannot seem to reproduce.

Upvote 0
Thinning is something that takes time to learn. It's all about angles and blows. We all run into a rock every once in awhile that gives us problems. Look up BOHUNTER on Youtube. He told me he just posted a new video on their though I haven't seen it yet. Be usre to type in BOHUNTER and not BOWHUNTER. His is without the "W" .

You might try watching a few videos by Craig Ratzat and Mark Bracken. They are both good knappers and discuss thinning in their videos. Mike Santiago has a good video out called "Working Challenging Shapes". It's worth every penny.

A little off topic - sorry - I have a source of awesome black flint (and some chocolate-colored) nodules - are they worth anything?

Always prepare your platform below the centerline, don't over abrade and angle your flake across or into the side. The rest is just what you said.. practice practice practice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back