53.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Taxco-Mexico-Cross-02.jpg
    Taxco-Mexico-Cross-02.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Taxco-Mexico-Cross-03.jpg
    Taxco-Mexico-Cross-03.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 3
Thanks so much. Would you know if the opal chips would add the value of the cross?
Well its the piece overall... its unique... and yes to the right person (like someone who is into opals) it will definitely add to the perceived value by that person... but from a jewelry standpoint... not really "add" anything more than what it is.

Well its the piece overall... its unique... and yes to the right person (like someone who is into opals) it will definitely add to the perceived value by that person... but from a jewelry standpoint... not really "add" anything more than what it is. see, well

Taxco silver pieces are still made to this day so it would be hard to say as to date... but i would think it is relatively a newer piece.
Within the last 20 years at longest.... just due to the style and condition alone.

Here is something you should check out...

I recently went thriftshop hunting and I came across this Taxco Cross, with Mexico stamped on it. Would the stones be real or a mosiac of plastic inlay? The cross is about 2" long and 1 1/2" wide. I don't know if it's silver as it has this gold color to it, perhaps tarnished??
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

It's exciting that you discovered a Taxco Cross while thrift shopping. Taxco jewelry is renowned for its artistry and often features intricate designs. Regarding the stones, they could be real gemstones or a mosaic of plastic inlay, which was a common technique in Taxco jewelry making. To determine if the cross is silver, you can try using a silver testing kit or visit a jeweler for an assessment. The gold color you're seeing is likely tarnish, as silver can develop a golden hue when it oxidizes.
Cleaning the cross gently with a silver polishing cloth might reveal its true silver shine underneath. If you're interested in learning more about stones and their characteristics, you might find this guide at https://rockstumbling.com/rock-polishing-techniques helpful. Enjoy exploring the history and craftsmanship behind your thrift shop find!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back