HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got back to my 1700's tavern site today. Found a hot little section with several buttons and some round ball fragments. Also found what appears to be a trigger guard. Got another one of those lead smashed thingy's. One of my mentors said he has found them over the years at tavern site and camp sites and thinks it a game piece or poker chip. Topped it all off with a little cut silver that I believe is from a 1 reale. I'm not by any means an expert on Spanish so If someone can positively identify that would be a plus. Wish it had a date but I will never complain when silver strikes. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.
Tavern 4.jpgTavern 5.jpgTavern 6.jpg

Upvote 31
Congrats on the cut Spanish silver. The two reale pistareen was the most frequently cut Spanish silver coin, although I have found a few cut from one reals. If you have an intact two reale pistareen, you can line your cut piece up with the edge of the pistareen and see if curvature matches.

The coin was minted during the reign of Felipe V (1700-1746). The "V" is the main clue. The "D" is the first of two related letters shown; the other being "G" , meaning Dei Gratia (by the Grace of God).
If the diameter is 20mm, it is a 1R coin; if a diameter of 17mm, the coin is a 1/2R.
Don in SoCal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure it is a cut 2 Philip V. A friend of mine has a complete 2 Philip V and it matches. I have found that Never Dull Wadding Cloth does wonders on silver coins. Or at least it has worked for me. I've attached below pics from my buddies that I compared it with. He found it at the same site probably 10 years ago. Thanks again all and good luck out there! I'm headed back to that spot tomorrow.
Beagle 1.jpgBeagle 2.jpg

Last edited:
You did GREAT Thanks for sharing :)

Got back to my 1700's tavern site today. Found a hot little section with several buttons and some round ball fragments. Also found what appears to be a trigger guard. Got another one of those lead smashed thingy's. One of my mentors said he has found them over the years at tavern site and camp sites and thinks it a game piece or poker chip. Topped it all off with a little cut silver that I believe is from a 1 reale. I'm not by any means an expert on Spanish so If someone can positively identify that would be a plus. Wish it had a date but I will never complain when silver strikes. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.
View attachment 2121354View attachment 2121355View attachment 2121356
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back