braintree essex

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 99
Reverse: Emperor advancing right, labarum with Chi-Rho on banner in left hand, dragging captive with right
SISCIA mint.
The mint at Siscia was first opened by Gallienus in AD 262 and was operational until AD 383 (plus or minus a year or two).
Don.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
they are so hard to look up ,there are so many different ones

Upvote 0
A tighter date range of your coin is between about 317 and 383. The 317 date is used as the first year in which the Chi-Rho sign appeared--as on your coin--during the reign of Contantine I. That will narrow your area of search.
Don....

Upvote 0
My thoughts were Valens, Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire, 364-378 AD.

He has so many that look close. Like this one for example.

Val 1.jpg

Valens AE3, 367-375 AD. DN VALENS-PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / GLORIA RO-MANORVM, emperor advancing right, holding labarum and dragging captive behind him. Right field: dot, mintmark: CONS delta. RIC IX Constantinople 41b var

Upvote 0
It amazes me how much knowledge comes through this place so fast. It's awesome. Great coin Are they copper? or?

Upvote 0
AE is abbreviation when used in ancient coin descriptions meaning that the coin is of base metal or alloy, usually copper or bronze.

Upvote 0
What is the lettering?

It goes above the bust which doesn't jive with the coins posted.

Upvote 0
Sorry can't make out what the lettering is coin bad condition . It looks copper has got green tarnish on it .was found while I was taking out a gravel driveway .was a lucky eyeball find

Upvote 0
With out the Legends it's difficult to get the correct ID, drop it in Olive Oil and leave it a while. The Green fuzz is Bronze disease.

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back