021.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 347
Could be an old plumbob, I see an indentation in the bottom where the pointer might have been but rusted away. Try a magnet on that spot, it may be weak but if it responds at all that would be a good sign. I once dug a sleigh bell that was turned into a plumbob. It's a neat piece of Yankee ingenuity, they positioned a square nail for the pointer out the slot in the bottom and poured it full of lead... Dave

Upvote 0
dsinsc said:
Could be an old plumbob, I see an indentation in the bottom where the pointer might have been but rusted away. Try a magnet on that spot, it may be weak but if it responds at all that would be a good sign. I once dug a sleigh bell that was turned into a plumbob. It's a neat piece of Yankee ingenuity, they positioned a square nail for the pointer out the slot in the bottom and poured it full of lead... Dave
All lead.

Upvote 0
Another thought?

I think this is the right name of what I'm thinking of.
A "sounders weight"?
They were used to test the depth of the river for riverboat navigation. They also used them for testing the depth of a water well.

Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
Another thought?

I think this is the right name of what I'm thinking of.
A "sounders weight"?
They were used to test the depth of the river for riverboat navigation. They also used them for testing the depth of a water well.
dan,sounds logical.

Upvote 0
calisdad said:
Timekiller said:
Best guess a Bell Clapper
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Being lead seems to me it wouldn't give you the clang your lookin for,and,it wouldn't last to maintain it's shape.
me too. not heavy enough to beat the currents required for a sounder.

Upvote 0
My money is with calisdad......decoy weight.

Upvote 0
I knew I had seen those somewhere and couldnt place where?Then when you mentioned it I remembered seein them on my grandfathers decoys!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back