Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fat fat Sapphire...

Saph02.jpg

8-)

May I make a request? Get a better picture of that baby! :occasion14:
How many cts? From where? Details man! *grins* :headbang:

Upvote 0
Hello EU Citizen, The photo is the 10TH in a series I took. The weight is approx 4.2 cwt. About a year ago I was in England for the Queen;s birthday. As her carriage moved by me I saw a blue speck pop from her crown and land at my feet. And so is fate.

Upvote 0
Cappy, really? May I suggest you try a lower ISO setting on the camera?
The picture is just horrible.. But the weight is pretty nice! From where? Madagascar?

Upvote 0
Hello EU Citizen, The photo is the 10TH in a series I took. The weight is approx 4.2 cwt. About a year ago I was in England for the Queen;s birthday. As her carriage moved by me I saw a blue speck pop from her crown and land at my feet. And so is fate.

Cappy, you're a lucky dude!

Upvote 0
I am trying to share the Queen's wealth at my blog...

I guess people still believe gemstones are only for royalty.

Upvote 0
I am trying to share the Queen's wealth at my blog...

I guess people still believe gemstones are only for royalty.

Can't blame them considering the increasing prices of rough gems.. :)

Upvote 0
EU Citzen...It's all about knowing where to buy...trust me. The price of gemstones is like the price of oranges. It depends where one can access the ...gem.
For others you might be interested...The Penny Auctions are Alive and Well...at my new Blog...Plenty of Treasure to be had for those who dare to offend the gods.. The Luna Cee Pub

I happy to announce Mr. Strick is now the owner of this fabulous stone. Thanks Strick!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cappy, trust you? I can't say I'm ready for that yet.

As soon as someone starts talking about cheap gems I've learned to become sceptical.
Sure, a good deal or two are to be had, but most of the time there is a reason they are cheap. You get what you pay for.
Sometimes you pay more then you get. (heard of the color changing glass sold as Diaspore?)

Maybe it is like oranges, but there is close to a global trend that the prices of gems are increasing... In the rough.
It is just a matter of time before we reach a make or break point for the cutters.
Either increase prices of the cut gems or try to survive on the extra supplies they might have hoarded.

Do you deal regularly with gems or more like a hobby/collector thing? Sorta curious.

Upvote 0
EU, There is so much fraud in the stone business, it doesn't surprise whenever I hear about another gimmick. Honestly I have always been a rock hound since a kid. I used to pick out the pyrite covered fossils out of our limestone driveway. I am absolutely no expert. At best I like holding the gems and reading up on them. I don't have the patience to actually facet any. The Russians are notorious for selling all sorts of 'material'. I am no purist. I'd rather own a fat sapphire that has been heat treated and 'improved' for a good price VS paying out 100x more for a 100% natural stone. Can you imagine buying a stone for say $2000. and then the wife loses it? But the bottom line is to each his own. I hope this clears up a few questions you might have. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Cappy, yes I agree.

I've seen several people locally going out to buy a "cheap ruby ring" (..only 700$ for a ring with 10 mm stone..)
Turned out to be all glass. This was in Indonesia.

Or when a friend went to Africa and bought cheap ruby rough - turned out to be glass treated.
A simple bath in citric acid will eat away on the glass, albeit slowly, not to mention it being soft like heck.
So there are certain durability issues, especially if the ring needs repair work.

I am from time to time involved in a family company which works with gems but also local rough.
So I see/hear that kind of stuff regularly. I try to keep myself updated.

I can't imagine buying a stone for 2000$, but buying the rough and cutting it..
Then sell, now that sounds like a plan!

Maybe you can see where I am coming from.
:occasion14:

Upvote 0
Thank you Cap !!!!!!! The wife will be very pleased. Eu, I was skeptical myself .But I have known cap for a long time ,I have won a few of the penny auctions myself .Even had some checked out . I am a hobbyist (no pro) don't claim to be .But am well informed , They were all real - nice stones . The owner of a jewelry store near me tried to buy a couple from me - I politely declined. His assistant thought they might not be real ,mine looked better than some he had in the display.The owner overheard the conversation and came over to check out the stones himself .They were real ,very nice .He tried to buy them. I explained that I was wanting to buy some findings to have them set in .Then picked out the perfect setting for a sapphire pendant. I was going to order the finding and have the stone set .He hit me with an outrageous price - gold was up high ,(not near as high as his price ) then he said if I give him one he would have the other set and mounted for free . He was high balling my price ,trying to beat me out of my stones. Needless to say he didn't get my business . I have not been in his store since ,and have turned away as many others as possible . MORAL OF THE STORY I personally know cap is 100% legit .I know they are real. I know some inside information .I would rather have a natural heat treated stone ,than other options .Most retailers, even high end stores sell man made stones these days (at ridiculous prices ) I have never been disappointed by cap. Always better than expected. Here was one .0811101934-00.jpg

Upvote 0
Stickman,

I am not trying to question cappy in any way. It is a reflex I learnt a couple of years ago in this business.
Every time I hear "cheap gems" my alarm goes off.

I sure would get it examined at a respected lab, like GIA, AIGS. 4 cts is pretty big. :)

If cheap beryllium diffusion comes to mind, a artificial colouring of the sapphire via heating with beryllium.
Many sellers from Indonesia and India have been trying to get it accepted as "heat treatment" only, at least on the gemmological side beryllium diffusion is still considered a treatment all of its own.

That was my biggest concern. :)

Upvote 0
EU is correct. The issue in my mind: is the stone 99% natural treated with beryllium or is it 99% glass? It's like comparing cars. You can get an old beater, a newer used car, a Ford, a Toyota, a Mercedes, a Jag, and or Royce....They all have a market. And frankly I've heard Mercedes quality isn't worth the extra bucks...

Upvote 0
Cappy, I suppose it depends on how you see it and how the math is done.
In my eyes it's more like 99% dyed. Especially since beryllium isn't a naturally occurring colouring agent for sapphire.

To each his own., I suppose.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back