New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldjerseygirl found this, we were hunting together in an area known for being part of the underground railroad.
I have no idea, she wanted to post this to see what it might possibly be.
I have only the one pic of the tag along side of a IH and Wheat back pennies.

She will have to jump in here and put up measurements weights, and cleaned up pix of both sides

HH & GL

Brad

20150312_141625.jpg

I don't know about where you live but in my neck of the woods, WV, there is a quarry near where I live and I have found many tags just like that one. The miners would each be issued a number and they would place their numbered tag on each cart they filled. Don't know if that helps but it is a thought. Happy hunting.

Upvote 0
In the mines we used a brass tag like those with your employee ID No. on it. You had two tags one on the board that would be moved from out of the mine side to in the mine side that stayed on the surface. When you came out your threw the brass back at your shift boss and he moved the brass you carried to the out of the mine side with the other. We called it brassing in and out. They still do it, but some mines now use RFID readers going in the mine now. The RFID chip is now attaches to your mine belt. They've got readers at the portal and throughout the mine to let the system your locations as you move about. Today it reminds of this old movie that me and my friend went to see back in 1964. That was an old sci-fi that did predict at least in part some of the future world to come. I thought it was one of the coolest movies back then.

Attachments

• robinson-crusoe-on-mars.jpeg
    robinson-crusoe-on-mars.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
I believe these tags were used for all kinds of uses, and where you found them is probably the best indicator of their usage. I find 5 or 10 of them every time I hit a new 1860 - 1900 farm in my area. I think they were used for livestock tags.

I worked a hut that coal miners used in the early 1900's. I found a dozen of these. In that instance they were almost definitely tool check tags.

These were bulk purchase tags and still are available today.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I bet it rang up sweet when oldjerseygirl hit it.
Cool site just hope the ticks and chiggers hold off for a few more hunts in there. I'm still trying to shed my winter fat and get my digger muscles back, there are very long walk just to get back to some of these cellar holes. This site was very well known in the 60's and on. I know it has been pounded over the years, hopefully with a little more help from the owner I'll get to a home-site that is still virgin. Until then I'll pick through the iron and dig the weird signals like I have been doing and see what more cool things I find.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I bet it rang up sweet when oldjerseygirl hit it.
Cool site just hope the ticks and chiggers hold off for a few more hunts in there. I'm still trying to shed my winter fat and get my digger muscles back, there are very long walk just to get back to some of these cellar holes. This site was very well known in the 60's and on. I know it has been pounded over the years, hopefully with a little more help from the owner I'll get to a home-site that is still virgin. Until then I'll pick through the iron and dig the weird signals like I have been doing and see what more cool things I find.

We still have snow fleas up this way.:laughing7: Sittin around for MONTHS,I hear you on muscle tone..gonna be sore for sure..when I do get out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back