Sword

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine in Georgia got this at a sale down there , any and all comments are welcome . My question is what era is this sword from ?

Mac 8-12-12 023.JPG8-12-12 023.JPG8-12-12 024 (2).jpg

More pics

Sorry for the bad pics , it was late evening with low light conditions . The stamp appears in person to be a C in an oval stamp with a star or crown above it , the second one appears to be a B in an oval stamp with the same above it , any and all information is appreciated .

Last edited:
.................... ................ 8-12-12 046 (2).jpg8-12-12 047 (2).jpg8-12-12 049 (2).jpg8-12-12 052 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 8-12-12 048 (2).jpg
    8-12-12 048 (2).jpg
    146 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0
From what I see it's a CW era Cavalry Saber, probably the 1840 pattern. What is the makers mark? Might be an imported item from the period. How much did he pay for it? Nice find either way!

Upvote 0
awesome find.:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to have to say, it appears to not be a Thomas, Griswold & Co. sword. I see at least two distinct differences between the posted sword handguard's details and the Thomas, Griswold & Co. sword at the link.

Also, if I recall correctly, the posted sword's maker's-markings at the blade's base (a letter inside a depressed oval) are European-style).

In the mid-1800s, Napoleon's French Army was very highly admired by the Military Services of various other countries ...including the United States Army. In token of that admiration, several kinds of Military equipment (including uniforms and swords) copied the French Army's very-stylish designs. The American-made copies of the original French versions are sometimes "quite close" in appearance, but not 100%-exact in every detail.

Sidenote:
The American army even copied French Military terminology ...such as "en barbette", epaulette, chaveaux-de-frise, etc.

In summary:
French originals, American copies of them, and civil war era European import copies of US swords can all be very difficult to correctly distinguish from each other. Extra-close attention to "small details" on them is advisable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the type of style-- is a us military 1840 model heavy calvary type sword commonly called a "wrist breaker" -- many of these were imported from europe during the civil war and before the civil war.

Upvote 0
You should get on the network for Pawn Stars in Las Vegas. If they like what you have, they will fly you out there for the show whether you want to sell your item or not. At any rate, you will get proper ID from that guy they call in for antique arms and such.

Upvote 0
It looks much like the several Confederate cavalry swords I have examined. Why cavalry? It's longer than an ordinary uniform sword. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back