Sword ID

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy in town is looking for an ID on this sword. The only history that I know is that he found it 40 years ago in Georgia. Thanks for any input.

IMG_1733.jpgIMG_1736.jpg

looks similar, but not exact, to a model 1840 artillery sabre

Upvote 0
Agreed looks like many of the different Artillery Swords from Europe. Look carefully at the blade where it meets the cross guard (Quillon) for any markings this could help narrow down the manufacturer or country making for a better ID. Also look for markings on the handle itself.

Upvote 0
Also, knowing the length of the blade would be helpful, it looks to be French or Belgian, the steel pommel nut makes me think late 1800's to WW1 era possibly.... Earlier ones I've seen were not attached that way...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, knowing the length of the blade would be helpful, it looks to be French or Belgian, the steel pommel nut makes me think late 1800's to WW1 era possibly.... Earlier ones I've seen were not attached that way...

I agree with it most likely being French or Belgium made. I found a similar one online but the pommel nut was a little different, then again the nut could be deteriorated changing its profile.

Upvote 0
Thanks to you all, I will pass this info on to the owner.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back