Shovel Bum

Aug 11, 2013
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swingin' the coil in OCMD

I will be down in Ocean City,MD August 17th-31st with the wife and our 4 year old son. I had shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago,so I'm not sure how long I'll be able to swing the coil, but it's the first time md'ing since last year's vacation, so I'm gonna try my damnedest. If there is anyone out there who would care to join me, I will be out after dark and into the wee hours by the looks of the tide chart. I may go north of the Indian River Inlet as well if the wife gives me a furlough.I have detected "Coin Beach" patiently for 10 years now,in fair weather as well as after Nor'Easters and Hurricanes.I slept a lot of nights in the back of my 91 Ford Ranger at the campgrounds-I used to surf outside the inlet after Nor'Easters to kill time waiting for enough beach to open up between the dunes and the break to walk north with my MD-I'm a little more settled now that I have a family. In all that time,all those hours, I have only found a small pewter button and a small coral/sand encrusted lump with something made of pewter peeking out(a buckle of some sort,Maybe-not sure),but hey, at least I found something.Besides those two items-clad,LOTS of surf fishing weights, fishing hooks,lures,pull tabs(of course) and lots of sea junk.Anyway-I'll be down for some shallow detecting if anyone would like to join me.

Upvote 0
I'm a local and coin beach was covered by several feet of sand from hurricane sandy. Its producing little to nothing. I'm sure you know the inlet area and the pier. If you hunt just north of the pier you have a better chance of finding some dropped items. Keep in mind the beach takers come out at 10 pm so its possible they will grab what were looking for or bring it up to the surface a little more. I just met up with one of our forum members few weeks back and nothing but clad. I'll PM you if im able to get down there

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

OCMD-I did the same on my vacation there at the end of June. Managed i pc of jewelry each time out. Costume or silver-only a small gold clasp.(dry sand only). Try the harness or just use the other arm.
I too have done -even worse than you-at Coin Beach. I was down there 12/8 but didn't go on because they were bulldozing sand. Of course I read of all the finds from that weekend. At least I found a gold ring at an alternate location. Prior to that I was there maybe a dozen times from '83. My friend got a copper when we decided to grid one section of beach. I'll get one yet.
Have fun-don't over do it.

Thanks to all for the replies and input, I have always worn my controls on a belt, mounted behind me. This cuts down the weight I have to swing so I can search longer. I think I will only be using a 10" mono coil for a while with this dang shoulder. Yeah, I found that pewter button on a minus low tide sweeping in the tidal pools. I kept scooping and checking over and over until I figured out the damn button was going right through my scoop because it was so small!!! I'm glad I didn't give up! I usually hit the wet sand once the tractors come around, but you really have to be fast to get those targets. If not they sink like in quicksand. I was out sweeping the wet sand at OC after Irene as soon as the BP and PD would let people onto the beach.It's amazing how the surf works. I was picking up Quarter after Quarter in a straight as an arrow line all clad and all dating to the early to mid 80s. I tell you it was like they were set in a line by a surveyer using a transit level. I picked up just under 10.00 in Quarters and a small but heavy silver earring and nothing else.BTW GTzer,I have never found a copper or a rose guinea either ,but I am determined as well...one of these days! My mom found one with her eyes off Coin Beach back in the 70s. I wish I had my LS back then!!!!!

Last edited:
Got in about 15 hunts this year in OC, all I have got this year is about 10 pieces silver n One very small gold charm. Yet to make it down in Aug, should be some good hunting now that the water is warm. Good Luck..Be Safe

I have to add that I've been by Coin beach many, many other times in my quest for stripers. I just never leave anything in the car that i couldn't part with- so either or- unless I got a room.
At least 2 of those times the beach was down to the Cedar stumps in the clay. No MD---only a 125 miles away.Surface collectors did well before I got there.
I also found a straight line of quarters after a NE storm. I got $7-$8 and nothing else.Not a cent-dime or any al. I will add that I know of a handful of times when the beach was well sanded in, that people have found coppers---and closer to the dunes.
Aqua-dynamics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back