Suspicious gold nugger purchased in US

mawasi

Aug 14, 2024
Hello experts. Can someone have a look at photos of the gold nugget I recently got for my wife as a birthday gift and I was happy but then I looked into it under 30/40x magnifying glass and noticed blackish rock underneath. The guy say it was acid tested for 24k and I do believe that because it looks like covered in this layer of gold but I am intrigued about inside of it. Before I got it it was advertised as pure gold nugget so it was falsely advertised then it turns out it has quartz residue inside once I started asking questions and he offers 150$ off 450$. I did background check before ordering it and the shop and person look legit. I am not looking for any sarcasm here but help and appreciate that. Thanks
IMG_5626.jpeg
IMG_5625.jpeg
IMG_5624.jpeg

Hello experts. Can someone have a look at photos of the gold nugget I recently got for my wife as a birthday gift and I was happy but then I looked into it under 30/40x magnifying glass and noticed blackish rock underneath. The guy say it was acid tested for 24k and I do believe that because it looks like covered in this layer of gold but I am intrigued about inside of it. Before I got it it was advertised as pure gold nugget so it was falsely advertised then it turns out it has quartz residue inside once I started asking questions and he offers 150$ off 450$. I did background check before ordering it and the shop and person look legit. I am not looking for any sarcasm here but help and appreciate that. ThanksView attachment 2163875View attachment 2163876View attachment 2163877
There does appear to be tiny quartz inclusions, but that to me is not an issue as that is often typical of non solid nuggets. It could even be a plus depending on how you look at it showing it is a natural nugget. The only thing id say to anyone making the 24k claim to a nugget is "ok, so where are pure 24k nuggets actually found?" Reason is that there is no such thing as pure 24k gold in nature. Your wording has me a little confused where you say covered in a layer though.
Maybe he meant pure gold nugget as in legit real natural nugget.
To me those tiny quartz bits are nothing to worry about and if anything are a plus on it being natural.

I mean, it looks legit from the photos, but that means nothing. Have you had it tested by a jeweler?

Easy enough to check the density, if you have a gram scale and measuring cylinder.
Some maths with the weight and amount of water the nug displaces will give you the density, should be around 19 something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back