Sundays Whatsit Find in Pa....take a stab!

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
I hit an area in Bethlehem.Pa right near this very old city
and directly in the Lehigh River which flows along and in.
Having done some research at the public library there used to be an Island- named Calypso- that was used back in the 1800's for canoeing, promenading,etc. The island is about gone and at one time was about a 1/4 mile + long and say 300-400 yds wide.
Well I hit the river and it is junky.
I got an Indian -which is in the electrolysis tank,(try to post pic)
An old Colonial Buckle,
and this clay whatsit-
It has the most beautiful black and orange clay with swirls in it. The base(you are looking down on the top in the pic)
is absolutely flat and all the edges that you can see are square. Now if mother nature did this she did one heck of a job.
It looks too designed- but no one seems to be able to id it.
Maybe an Indian piece, a pipe and tobacco holder, a pen and ink holder...........................
My wife said: " maybe some kid down at the Ice Factory (its an old renovated building that holds classes for kids in clay, painting, acting,etc.) did it and threw it in the water."
It just looks too old for that type of thing.
Guesses from old or young or Indian Relic Experts, Colonial Times historians....
You can bet I'll be going back. The technique I use is different.. Get the right beep, dig the river bottom with the sharpe lesche, then use a tough beach scoop to sieve the mound of dirt, ect. Its tough to see into the flowing current but I know that gold coin thats been alluding me is there. Most be a million pull-tabs in this river. Well....I hear all the time: " there aint no places to hunt anymore".....................huh?

Attachments

• P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0
Good Side view shot of whatsit

I got a good side view pic and added an old baseball marble for perspective. A buddy chimed in with : pen and ink holder.

Attachments

• P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 405
Pretty cool whatever it is!

HH

Lonewolfe

What a great what is it. I personally don't have a clue but the colors are so vivid and it has to be man made. It definately looks like you set something in the little recess. Hope you find out what it is. HH
Mchamby

get the fingerprints off it, that were saved in the clay and ask the maker what it is.

on another forum....

a western fellow thought it might be an Indian Boatstone- which in my interpretation means a hand stone used to smooth out wooden boats. This area was clustered with Indian Tribes along the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers. Lenape, Alogonquin (sp.), Delaware,etc.

You know its one of those things like when people ask well how much would something sell for. I tell them whatever somebody would pay for it. The eye is in the beholder.

If you spend 8 hours looking for something you like: priceless.

aloha
www.theadventurelodge.com

buy early for Christmas and eliminate stress...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back