Sunday’s new field expedition! 😎

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
A scorcher of a Sunday here, and while we wait for our favourite fields to come back, we headed off to another untried field, within minutes from the truck I found the Roman Brooch, so our hopes were high, alas that was the best find of the day, but at least we know we need to come back when the stubble is gone!

First off my Roman Brooch, squashed spectacle buckle, not sure if this is a nail or long tack pin, capstan shot, musket and the other type, then what I imagine is a spoon handle has a hallmark on it 🤔… then an I’m not sure, it’s hollow, like a big shotgun cartridge next pic is the writing on the bottom….I started digging iron, to stop the shoulder pain … not sure if this is horse related… or part of a torture device it’s bigger then the my hand … and finally buttons.

Hopefully when it’s been disked we will find more good stuff, as also found lots of lead bits…not many nice views from this field so took some on the way back for you xx

IMG_3997.jpeg
IMG_3998.jpeg
IMG_3999.jpeg
IMG_4003.jpeg
IMG_4004.jpeg
IMG_4005.jpeg
IMG_4008.jpeg
IMG_4006.jpeg
IMG_4009.jpeg
IMG_4010.jpeg
IMG_3994.jpeg
IMG_3993.jpeg
IMG_3992.jpeg

Upvote 19
within minutes from the truck I found the Roman Brooch, so our hopes were high, alas that was the best find of the day
That’s pretty tough alright. But your worst day is still mighty good, if you ask me. Nice finds!

wright butler

Wright & Butler, 390, New John St. W. Birmingham, oil lamps with the American-style circular 'The Union Burner'. By 1913 they had been taken over by Falk Veritas of London but use of the Trade name continued.
Don in SoCal
Source: https://www.oldcopper.org/makers/wright_butler.php

That stubble is a hard go at times.
Nice recovery on the Roman brooch.

I think you should get that shoulder looked at, could be work related. (Wink-wink)
It sucks when the targets are far and in between, and resorting to digging iron just to relieve the ache kind of sucks.

Hope the next outing is more productive in digging and less swinging.

Your "spoon handle" may be a key hole cover for a lock.

A scorcher of a Sunday here, and while we wait for our favourite fields to come back, we headed off to another untried field, within minutes from the truck I found the Roman Brooch, so our hopes were high, alas that was the best find of the day, but at least we know we need to come back when the stubble is gone!

First off my Roman Brooch, squashed spectacle buckle, not sure if this is a nail or long tack pin, capstan shot, musket and the other type, then what I imagine is a spoon handle has a hallmark on it 🤔… then an I’m not sure, it’s hollow, like a big shotgun cartridge next pic is the writing on the bottom….I started digging iron, to stop the shoulder pain … not sure if this is horse related… or part of a torture device it’s bigger then the my hand … and finally buttons.

Hopefully when it’s been disked we will find more good stuff, as also found lots of lead bits…not many nice views from this field so took some on the way back for you xx

View attachment 2161046View attachment 2161047View attachment 2161048View attachment 2161049View attachment 2161050View attachment 2161051View attachment 2161053View attachment 2161059View attachment 2161060View attachment 2161061View attachment 2161062View attachment 2161063View attachment 2161064
Fun! I hope that it's not going to turn into a drought like it did a few years back. Folks I was detecting with had to buy pry bars to try and dig on the farm land! I'm heading to Norfolk in mid-August and I'm really looking forward to it. I had to miss last year.

I hope that they disc your permissions soon. 😁

Last edited:
There's some kind of hallmark there I believe I'm seeing. It be really interesting finding out what it might reveal.

View attachment 2161046View attachment 2161047View attachment 2161048View attachment 2161049View attachment 2161050View attachment 2161051View attachment 2161053View attachment 2161059View attachment 2161060View attachment 2161061View attachment 2161062View attachment 2161063View attachment 2161064
The 8th pic down is an interesting recovery, The Union ? Birmingham...and the capstan shotabove looks like a hat...perhaps you could repurpose it. :). Look fwd to seeing what else you recover when the timing is right...

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back