Sunday at the lake

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Went up to the lake this weekend and while the kids swam I did a little shallow water hunting.I knew a spot just down the beach where they loaded logs out of the lake around the turn of the century.I started out close to shore and found a little clad and a lot of trash so I moved out a little deeper.The trash cleaned up so I set my sensitivity at high, my disc. at low , and started concentrating on the tiniest of "good" blips.As it turned out I would have to dig away 6" of sand , recheck my tone and then dig another 4-6" to retrieve the target.The first three or four hits were wheat cents and although I cant complain, I was hoping to find something a little older.They were in the 40's and 50's.Well, I got what I wanted.The next coin was a 1908 IH.Then a Merc.with an unreadable date.Then a couple more wheats.Now get this.Im headed back to shore and I hit a strong quarter signal.I dig away 6" of sand, check the hole again...still there.I take out four healthy scoops of sand and set them to the side.....signals not in the hole any more.I check the pile and scoop out a 1960D penny.Check the pile again...pull out another 1960D penny.Check the pile again and I get my quarter signal.I take one scoop, let the water wash away the sand and looking up at me is a 1965 quarter alongside an 1854 1/2 dime.WOW! I was probably about half as excited as Lonewolfe was to find his Half Eagle but thats still pretty excited.When I got home I looked at it under glass and the detail is excellent.It has some black on it but doesnt look damaged in any way.Now I know you've all heard it before but here it is again.How do I get the black layer off of silver without damaging the coin?I promise Ill pay attention in class this time.Thanks .....JO

Attachments

• LastScan (2).jpg
    LastScan (2).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0
What some great finds! And a great story to go with the pics!

I know you gonna sleep well tonight! :D

Nana ;)

Nice finds!

If you're going to keep the coin,

dip it in coin cleaner, or tumble it and call it good.

You can't really hurt the coin anymore than it already is/has been because,

the "luster" of the coin is long gone due to being stripped from being in the lake for so long, and no matter what you do, you'll never get it back (plus) it's got that black baked on crud that all silver gets from being in the lakes (at least here in MI they do) (therefore) the value will always be for whatever it's present condition is- as long as it's kept that way.

Just my opinion, some may and will disagree but, that's what I'd do!

HH

Lonewolfe

Jopher, I think you should take Lonewolfes advise, it makes sense to me.
Your lucky, all the water MDing I get around here is when I am standing in the rain :)

Jopher , Great Finds. I believe the actual way to remove that crud you speak of is to heat the water on a stove in a shallow pan to a boil. Remove from stove and place a piece of tin foil on the bottom of the pan put a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in and then place the coin on the foil. Good luck and if it doesn't work then Lonewolf is right.

Nice finds, good story!

HH!!

Attachments

• WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 195
  • WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 195
Thank ya'll for your inputy.......If the coin cleans up well I'll repost a pic...
HH...JO

Great finds!!

Floater, I think you have the right idea only I think your supposed to use washing soda ???, not baking soda.
I'm not sure what that is so I've never tried it. I'm thinking maybe it's "20 mule team borax" .

Maybe someone can enlighten us please do.

HH Baddog1

Re: Sunday at the lake Monday

Got home late from work today but I was still determined to pretty up that little coin.I dont have any coin cleaner around so I applied the Floater technique with pretty good results.With a little help from a soft bristled toothbrush the black crust gave way to silver.The process seemed to work best while the coin was still hot so several baths were required.I wish that i could send a better pic as the details on the coin are very nice.The banner and Liberty are clearly visible.? ?Thanks and HH..........JO? ? ?

Attachments

• LastScan (2).jpg
    LastScan (2).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 165

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back