Suitcase FULL of Silver Coins!!!

bigjer

Mar 28, 2005
Hi all...
A relative of mine just showed me a suitcase FULL of ALL denominations of Silver coins....from 1800's-early 1900's Morgan dollars(dozens) , 100's of Merc Dimes...some in booked sets..., Walking Libert quarters...too many to count...., and all ages of Half Dollars!!!! What an incredible sight!!! There is literally 1000's of coins!!!
Now the problem....
She is wanting to collect on her late husband's "investment" and is not sure where to start. I am not sure either...since I just started metal detecting and only recently became aware of the values of silver coins.
Does anyone have advice on where she should start to make sure she can collect a fair return on these coins??

If she wants top dollar, then you will have to sell them by small lots or singly. If she wants out in a relative short time then ask around your area and find a fair and legitimate coin dealer. There are some. Best thing to do first, get a US Coin Red Book, so you can see which coins are better. for instance Mercury dimes, most are worth just a little over silver value, but there are about 10 certain dates which have a higher value with just a few having real high value. Make a list of all the better coins in the lot and then you will know who is being fair to you. You won't get book price, maybe 1/2 on most items except on what we refer to as key dates, (the expensive and rare coins), on those you can usually get about 3/4 book value. Remember also, that the grade of a key coin is very important, the US Coin Red Book has a basic grading guide in it which should help you.. Do your homework first. Good luck. John

I agree, small lots are best. Look each one up and sell them on ebay yourself. My grandmother got burned big time from an Expert! who was giving her an appraisal. If thats just too much work then sell bigger lots. Hope you get top price for everything.
Dano.

dano.

Get a "Red Book" and an excel spreadsheet. Drop me a PM. I can give you some other ideas.

Nebraskadad.

alabamadan said:
I'll give her face value for everything if she just wants to move it fast.
In that case she could just spend it as she would normal coins. 99.99% of the population is smarter than that dude.

Buy a copy of coin world and a copy of numismatic news. Read the ads of the people/companies who say they will travel to buy collections. Give them a call and describe what you have. They will show up with certified funds for anything they buy. Done deal in less than a week. In case she doesn't know this the ones who claim to pay the highest prices usually don't even come close to what the others pay. I have made a whale of money giving that same advice for pay. good luck and exanimo, ss

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
Buy a copy of coin world and a copy of numismatic news. Read the ads of the people/companies who say they will travel to buy collections. Give them a call and describe what you have. They will show up with certified funds for anything they buy. Done deal in less than a week. In case she doesn't know this the ones who claim to pay the highest prices usually don't even come close to what the others pay. I have made a whale of money giving that same advice for pay. good luck and exanimo, ss

Which reminds me, Don't go to those guys that come to town and rent a hotel room, put a big ad in the local paper, or simular deal. They come get your stuff cheap and you never see them again and you get beat at the same time.
That suitcase collection isn't really big enough for most dealers to travel that far for, as most of it will probably be just bulk silver. I think most of it could be decided with a Redbook by the ownwer, and then maybe contact someone if the collection is worth it. Worth it means 3 thousand at least.

I'll pay 5xs face value for the entire collection (sight unseen)

but would require pics to varify content if agreed upon the offer,

will paypal the $$ or pay by CC only,

Lonewolfe

Bigjer,

keep in mind most Morgan dollars for simple bullion value are $10. even for A, or AU,

I'd definitely check our PCGS's value table, and grading reference.

Thanks alot.....Haven't had time do proceed yet.....

What/ Where is "our PCGS's value table, and grading reference"?

Good luck,

when you get it figured out,

let me know,

my offer still stands, and will when that time comes,

if you find some "rare" pieces,

I'll pay a premium for those, and 5xs face for all the other common stuff.

HH

Lonewolfe

Sorry I meant to say I would pay 5X Face for all of them. Hit the wrong number button.lol

This is a hoax post i have seen this post on other forums at many different times please take caughtion this is merly my opion

I don't think its a hoax, I witnessed a old man and woman sell a $400.00 plus silver coin collection! To a coin dealer for only $260.00 something.

DO NOT TAKE THEM TO A DEALER OR PAWN SHOP THEY WILL ROB YOU BLIND!! [/b}]

They should pay you 35% off of retail but most of them will just give you silver weight value. Unless you have a rare coin. They will pay you a little premium for that, just to look honest. ;D

Your best bet is to sell them on E-bay one at a time or in small lots. (You can sell them retail that way.)
Your next best bet is to take them to an auction house and sell in small lots.
Last you could sell them to one of us here at a good price.
Very last if worse comes to worse sell to a coin dealer.

I will pay 5.3x face value and 35% off retail on the rare ones.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back