Sugar Beet'ing' - Day 3 - SAXON SCEAT - Yeeaaahhh...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Streak - 16 for 16! (We were convinced it would end today, so the first silver of the day, my Sixpence was very welcome until....):laughing7:
As the Sugar Beet is getting a little high, this was our last day on it. So in the morning for 2.5 hours we tried a large field that we had crossed off the list years ago.(tried with fresh eyes) Although we had some low grade finds we were right to cross it off, so after lunch we moved to the Roman/Saxon Site for 4.5 hours where we did much better than we could ever guess. (This site has been hit hard over the years)

24 Scrappies (Although 2 might be the Copper-cores of imitation Sceats, but as they are going to the British Museum for Cru'dads IDs to be verified, we will let them decide)
1 Nice Roman Coin of a Rare Roman Mint Variant (RBT) - Next to all the silvers
17th C Button
Tudor Button
Clog Clasp
Medieval bits..
Jetton
Saxon Pin-Head (literally the head bit)
1929 Sixpence
Cut Hammered Short-cross
Saxon Sceat Circa AD715-20, Series N, Type 41b, Two figures standing holding crosses, Monster left looking back.:headbang: First of the year but we only target 1 for the year, so job done. Congrats Cru'dad.:hello2:
What a way to finish May. (that almost sounds political) lol

UPDATE:
''A good example of Series N (Type 41b) (55 finds in EMC), which I haverecorded.
Anna Gannon's book The Iconography of the Early Anglo-Saxon Coinage has along discussion of Two Figures types, coming to the conclusion that we do donot know who they are supposed to be.''

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Upvote 37
Impressive collection of finds. May did what she could, I guess it's someone else's time. Who would want the job, really? Thanks for sharing all that.

Wow, I’m so jealous of you folks over the pond. I get excited over an old dime and here you guys are digging pre Amirica stuff on the daily lol

Awesome collection of finds! :occasion14:

In awe as always. Great finds. Thank you for sharing!

awesome as always. Nice to know that your beat fields are not all hunted out... a good lesson for all:thumbsup: save some for next time

Oh my gosh. That Saxon is beautiful. Congrats!

...What a way to finish May. (that almost sounds political) lol

Great looking Sceat,congratulations!

P.S. Maybe you can hire the poor Theresa to carry your shovels now that she has more time on her hands :laughing7:

Congrats on the sweet sceat Cru. That’s a highly coveted find for you guys over there, glad you found a fine example. So cool!

Great looking Sceat,congratulations!

P.S. Maybe you can hire the poor Theresa to carry your shovels now that she has more time on her hands :laughing7:
She is familar with Wheat Fields....

Whoa dude that's an awesome Sceat, much nicer and more visually interesting than the "average" one. Congratulations! :occasion14:

UPDATE (on Sceat):
Now recorded as the 56th example on the EMC. I asked if the figures were meant to be St Peter & St Paul.
''A good example of Series N (Type 41b) (55 finds in EMC), which I haverecorded.
Anna Gannon's book The Iconography of the Early Anglo-Saxon Coinage has along discussion of Two Figures types, coming to the conclusion that we do donot know who they are supposed to be.''

I've got to get my passport updated... nothing here to compare. Congrats again! :notworthy:

Saxon came early this year! With a lot of luck you may get a second one. Congrats to Crudad, beautiful rare coin!

Words always fail me when I take a look at your finds Crusader...The Saxon sceat is pretty much beyond my comprehension....wow!

THANKS for all the comments. It was a star day for a May hunt & a nice example to boot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back