invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what this iron object is a fragment of? It has an outer rim, about 1/8" thick, and on one photo I've outlined a raised arc with a pair of spokes(?). It was found on a homestead originally settled around 1810 and lived in continuously ever since. Thanks.

Attachments

• Relic2.jpg
    Relic2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Relic3.jpg
    Relic3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 75
I have an idea I'm going to see if I can find the old post

Upvote 0
I could not find the post I was looking for you might have to clean it a little more to get a better look.

Upvote 0
I don't know what it is. It is difficult to determine the original size of the whole piece.
But I will point out that cast iron pieces found at old homesteads are often stove parts.

Upvote 0
All, thanks for the inputs thus far. I considered it to be part of an old stove, but thought the metal would be thicker than 1/8" max. Plus the ornamental arc and spokes are baffling. Once the weather improves I plan to go back and detect in the area again. Hopefully I'll find some more pieces that may help solve this riddle. I'll hold off cleaning it for the time being, as some of the surface rust (and detail) may be lost.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I went back and began looking at hundreds of pictures of stove parts again. The patterns on the front and rear seem to match a portion of a Griswold Manufacturing Company cast iron stove damper. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. If thumbs up, I'll mark this thread as solved. Thanks again everyone!

Griswold1.jpgGriswold2.jpg

Upvote 0
Welcome to our forum and nice photo diagrams

791E7C02-B6A0-46E0-86E3-371653EC532C.jpeg

Upvote 0
have to think there's a way to determine the diameter
You have enough to determine the circumference of the item

Upvote 0
The way I determined the diameter was to draw a circle in Powerpoint then held the relic up to the screen and adjusted the size of the circle until the edge of the relic matched up. From that I determined the actual diameter was about 5" but the cleanest picture of a whole damper I could find was of a 7". So I scaled that to 5" and used it to create the diagrams I posted earlier. Griswold made dampers of many sizes including 5". The arc and spokes I described in my first post appear to be part of the company logo.

Upvote 0
Hello invent4hir! Now that it's cold, you've got a little time to post, huh? It looks to me like you solved it. I was trying to research, but couldn't stay focused. Sweet! Was that from a club hunt? Or private?
Hopefully, I can make the meeting next month. Nice to see you on here. Got someone I've actually met to talk to. :hello2:

Can't wait to see what else you have found.
Wrightdigger

Upvote 0
Wrightdigger, thanks for the kudos. The find was from a private hunt as I no longer belong to the club. Three other notable relics found on the property were: 1) Hand-smelted conoidal bullet (mid-1800s); 2) rectangular-shaped keyhole plate/cover; and 3) what I think is a Kutmaster pocket knife.

Upvote 0
Wrightdigger, thanks for the kudos. The find was from a private hunt as I no longer belong to the club. Three other notable relics found on the property were: 1) Hand-smelted conoidal bullet (mid-1800s); 2) rectangular-shaped keyhole plate/cover; and 3) what I think is a Kutmaster pocket knife.

Well, sorry to hear that. It's really kind of far for my friend and I to go to, that's why we haven't been able to find the time to go.

Do you have pics of the other finds? You know I'm new to this. Want to learn as much as I can.

Congratulations on your finds and the I'D.
Happy New Year!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back