StraNGE sTONE WARE

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres an old road down from were I grew up that has a couple pre-civil war homesites still standing. The road is on a small pennisulla so there are small creeks on each side. From stories i heard growing up and my own research the area had been inhabited for hundreds maybe thousands of years first by indains.
This is on James Island just across the river from Charleston, SC so the indian and colonial history goes way back.
I have found everything from coins, bullets, swords, bottles and even matching set of millstones. I found a new intresting area in the march that had been covered by debris unti la recent storm. From what I can tell its an old wooden boat that has rotted away from the metal skeleton.
%75 is still under the pluff mud so Im batteling the tide to slowly uncover what i can.
However I did come across some intresting pottery. Unlike most indian and african american pottery I have found around charleston.
One piece I thought was a bowl but then turned on its side ad realized it was skulpted to look like a fish and sit on its belly with a large hole in top. The striking thing is its detail in the sculpting and the thickness of it. Its almost two inches thick.
So far i have only uncovered the head portion but hope to find the rest and rebuild it.

The other intresting peice was what looks like a large cooking vessel that looks like when hole was over a foot in diameter and as deep. I have found most of it but will keep digging. A large portion of it was exsposed to the elements and most of the paint has been salt blasted and baked off.
But as you can see the peices buried in mud show some amazing artowrk, detail and color. Looks like so far the artwork is all botanical. Looks like the thicker bottom portion was made and then the thinner top 4" made and attached to it.

Being that i found them around what was an extrmely old wrecked boat and knowing the history of Charlestons water I didnt know if they could be from another country.

The artwork on the one peice doesnt look like anything I have seen from SC coastal pottery,
IMG_3027.JPGIMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3028.JPGIMG_3029.JPGIMG_3030.JPG

Any ideas or help appreciatteed. Im going to continue uncovering the site to see what i can piece together. Another intresting clue was several old bottle necks that look to me like old black glass. The fat neck ones that you can easily see the striations from the blowing process. There are also what looks like old boxes partially esposed that are weathered but seem to have held up due to filling with pluff mud.
Looking foward to looking in those.

Thanks

Old flower pots..

Tim

Upvote 0
I sympathize.... I was never interested in old stoneware, ceramicware, glassware, etc until I began finding a bunch of shards in a pit. Now I'm dying to find out the century they were created, place of origin, etc. As is often the case, there is enough to go on to make an educated guess, but VERY hard to nail down (at least for me at this stage). Coins give you so much more to go on. It's frustrating not being sure if a shard is from the 17th to 18th century or just simply a 1940's piece.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back